Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmaxt03

Missing bolt on JD LT180 engine?

dmaxt03
11 years ago

Noticed today that a bolt appears to be missing on my '05 John Deere LT180 lawn mower. The hole is on the No 2 cylinder head (side with the oil filter) and is threaded and appears to be a hole for a mounting bolt (top left). The other cylinder head has a bolt at the similar location. It's hard to tell, but one of the illustrations in the owners manual (see air filter section - picture MX11123) doesn't appear to have a bolt at this location either. The engine is a 17HP Kawasaki V-Twin. Does anyone have this mower or know how to confirm if the bolt is missing or not?

Comments (11)

• mownie
    11 years ago

Well, looking at the image in an online version of the manual.......I see only 3 "bolts".
    2 of them hold the valve cover and the 3rd appears to be holding "something" that is concealed by the black cover next to it.
    Perhaps you could post a picture (or 2) taken by yourself.
    My guess would be that both heads are made identical (to be the same part number) and both have the same provisions for attaching or mounting things. Whatever Deere (or Kawasaki) is using the threaded hole for only needs to use the #2 head, so the same hole on other bank is vacant.

• dmaxt03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of cylinder head 2 with bolt hole.

• dmaxt03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of cylinder head 1.

• always_beezee
    11 years ago

Probably a bolt for holding on the Fan Housing and engine Shrouds.

• dmaxt03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic from online manual

• mownie
    11 years ago

Looking at your picture of head #2 it does appear that there is a "foot print" left by something that was previously mounted there.
    The print appears not to be circular (as would be from a washer) and might have been made by a bracket that was bent to a 90 degree angle.
    I have looked at both the Deere manual and the Kawasaki manual and I don't see any pictures that show an object attached in that hole.
    Your best bet at finding the answer may be to visit the weekend freedom machines web site and post the same query there.

But it's still a bit soon for members here to post their replies.

Have you by chance ever taken this tractor to a shop (or other resource) for any work or has it always been maintained by yourself personally?
    For instance, if there was ever a reason the cylinder heads were removed, there is a chance the heads were put back in opposite positions than original. The heads are the same part so transposing them would not be harmful. It would, however, result in that hole becoming vacant and showing a foot print because that same hole DOES secure air duct sheet metal when used in cylinder #1 position.

This post was edited by mownie on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 12:29

• dmaxt03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It hasn't been in a shop. I've maintained it since I bought it new. It could have been that way from day one, but I can't say one way or another because I 've never noticed if it had a bolt before.

• krnuttle
    11 years ago

I have two suggestions. Go down to your JD dealer and asked the guy in the parts department. (I am not talking about a big box store, but a real John Dealer that maintains and sells ALL JD tractors.) If you get there when they are not busy you well get a better answer.

The other is to find a store that deals with used tractors. (Like the one mentioned above) and look at similar tractors to see what the bolt arrangement is.

• BrittSmallEngine
    11 years ago

I worked at Deere dealer for many years.Seems like to me l have seen a lifting bracket mounted there before for installing the engine at the factory.

• barncats
    11 years ago

Just looked at my LT 180 and it is empty on mine too
    Guess it's nothing to worry about.

• dmaxt03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful. Looks like it was furnished that way.