I have a craftsman 18HP riding lawn tractor that was working

perfectly this past weekend after I replaced the blades. When

all the mowing was done I let the tractor cool down on the

driveway and then I hosed it down to get all the dust/dirt off

of it.

Then I went to put it away it would not start. When I turn

the key all I get is a "click" sound. The battery is relatively

new, installed it last year. I also charged the battery before

I used the mower. I also replaced the starter solenoid last.

Did the hosing down of the tractor cause problems? I washed

the tractor and hosed down "everything" (i.e. under the hood,

behind the steering/dash area, etc...).

Thanks,

-Keith

Comments (10)

• mownie
    15 years ago

You aren't the first person to bring that to the forum. It will be easier for me to provide you with a link to a very recent thread that is almost identical to yours (you don't have a twin, do you?) :^)

Here is a link that might be useful: Washy washy clicky clicky

• kfgriffi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, I already tried jumping my tractor with a vehicle and got the
    same result. Thanks.

• rcbe
    15 years ago

take out your spark plug(s) and WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH OFF, try to turn the engine over by hand. If you see any liquid blowing out that sparkplug hole, your engine was "hydraulically" locked up - usually from raw gas getting thru the carb and flowing into the cylinder(S)... but could also be water from hosing (mebbe - long shot).

If engine will not turn at all by hand with the plugs out, then look to see if your starter's gear is jammed where it meshes with the flywheel ( to see that, you'll prolly need to remove big round air screen on engine top). BE gentle trying to get it unjammed - no framming with a hammer. Get some technical help if you run into a headscratcher.

If still no luck, taks starter off engine and take to good shop to be bench tested. BTW, Starters don't like hose water much, either...

• kfgriffi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mownie, Yes I read that post but that problem description stated that nothing was happening when the 'key' was turned, not even a clicking sound. So I am assuming that problem is a little different than mine.

Is there anyway to check the starter solenoid to see if it is functioning correctly? Can I put a meter on the starter motor and if I get a power reading when the key is turned does that mean the solenoid is good and the start is bad?

I can rotate the engine by hand and the starter gear is not jammed (I inspected it after removing the cover). The interesting thing is that the starter motor does not show any signs of life when the key is turned. The gear does not even try to engage to start the motor.

I am wondering if the solenoid is not delivering power to the starter motor, or if the starter motor has been shorted out. How can I test for these conditions?

Thanks,
    -Keith

• mownie
    15 years ago

If you attempted a "jump start" with a "known to be good" battery, and still get no response, your problem is more likely to be with a safety interlock feature such as the "park/brake/clutch" switch. If this machine utilizes an interlock system to inhibit the starter unless certain conditions are met, you may have defeated or affected, a switch or a relay in that part of the set-up. First thing to look for is a switch that is related to the brake/clutch pedal and make certain that it is still mounted securely and seems to be operated by any linkage or tabs like it is supposed to. Tracking down the cause of issues like this can require a "multi meter" so if you don't own one......you might want to buy a cheap one before you start "swapping & trying" new parts.

• kfgriffi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After searching the internet and reading how you can bypass the starter solenoid I attempted to do that and got nothing. This led me to believe that the starter motor was bad.

So I removed the jumper cables from the starter motor and tried one last time to start it and Vroom, it started up! Now I still do not know what the problem was but I am suspecting either the starter solenoid or the starter motor. I will have to get out my volt meter and diagnose things further before I buy replacement parts...

Thanks for all you suggestions and comments.

• rcbe
    15 years ago

Waterlogged solenoid ?

• justknowhowtoride
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought a Craftsman tractor with 18.5 HP Brigs engine less than 3 years ago. I am now having problems with the ignition. Last week, I was mowing as usual, suddently the engine vibrated and then stopped. It took me a few hours to find out that the fuse blew up. I replaced a new fuse and tried to restart many times but the engine never start again. I opened up the cover to take a look inside. It looks to me that the starter gear engaged with the flywheel everytime I tried to start but the flywheel has too much resistance to freely rotate again. I don't know what else to do with it since I don't know much about engine. I am not happy at all with this situation since I feel it is not worth of $1500 and the money for the maintenance of changing oil filter, spark plug, air filter every season (changing oil very often). I called the Sears repair sevices and they told me it would cost me $100 just for having a service man shows up at my door. I don't want to continue spending too much money on my untrusted Craftsman tractor anymore. I would like to ask your opinions on how bad it is with my tractor and if it would cost me a lot of money to repair it. If it costs me about half of the purchase price, I would get rid off it and I will never walk into Sears store to touch any Craftsman products again.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Unhandy-man

• searscares
    14 years ago

Dear Justknowhowtoride,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with your tractor. My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares Team. I would like to speak to you regarding your situation. You can contact me at searscares@searshc.com so we can further discuss your needs. Please include your screen name (justknowhowtoride) so I can reference your issue.

Thank you,

David V.
    Senior Case Manager

Sponsored