Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formasfunction

Scotts riding mower transmission won't engage.

formasfunction
15 years ago

I have an older Scotts riding mower model 42531x7a or x8a, I'm not sure which, and I took it out of the shed for the first day of the season and to my surprise the drive transmission won't seem to engage, not for any of the forward or reverse speeds. I've checked all the connections I know of and they all seem fine and in fact it was working well when I put it away months ago, though the transmission did slip a little. The belt is intact and turning, the speed shifter is a little loose but still connected and moving the joined parts. The clutch moves and tensions the belt still but still it seems as if it's not engaging. Any help or redirection would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (27)

• irishbrewer
    15 years ago

This is kind of a no-brainer so forgive me if I'm being too simplistic but I've actually done this myself on occasion.

Sometimes when I am storing my tractor, it is easist to push it the last few inches to get it where I want it. To do so, you have to engage a lever (under the seat) that puts the tranny in neutral. Then I forget to re-engage the tranny and when I get back on it in the spring, I start it up and it goes nowhere.

Doh! I forgot to move the lever back.

• formasfunction
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm, I've never pushed a lever under the seat and I didn't see one when I just checked. I do have a neutral on my gear lever in addition to 6 forward speeds and one reverse and pushing that lever around has no effect. It does feel like it's somehow stuck in neutral, though. Any other ideas?

• justalurker
    15 years ago

If you have six forward speeds and one reverse then you don't have a Peerless VST hydrostatic trans.

Carefully check to see if the drive belt has jumped off one of the idler wheels along the belt path and that the idler wheels are putting tension on the belt. Also, check that the pulley on the top of the trans is still keyed to the shaft.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Possible one of the rear wheel keys have fallen out?

• justalurker
    15 years ago

Wheel key is #58 in the lower LH corner of this diagram near the end of the axle and there should be a wheel key on each end of the axle...

• formasfunction
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes! That was exactly the problem. I found the wheel key in the trunk of my car where I'd put the tire to take it to be reflated. It's working wonderfully now, thank you so much!

• emsgram
    15 years ago

I'm having the same problem with a Scotts S1643. It worked for a few spins around the yard yesterday then I noticed my tire was flat. It was removed, re-inflated and remounted. At that point, the transmission wasn't working, forward or reverse. I don't see a wheel key, is that possible? Any other suggestions?

• justalurker
    15 years ago

There should be a key on each end of the axle. It easily sticks to the wheel and then falls off when you're not looking.

Remove the wheel and look at the inner axle hole to see if it is machined for a key or look at the end of the axle to see the notch (groove) the key sits in.

If it worked before you removed the wheel then it's a safe bet the key fell out.

• davio
    14 years ago

It is very common for a lot of these Scotts mowers to need their tranmissions rebuilt. Most repair shops will only tell you that you have to buy a new transmission. This is totally wrong. I have been rebuilding these 'tuff torq' transmissions for 4 years with oem parts from mfg. Don't be talked into buying a $600 to $900 transmission when it can be reguilt starting at $185. Feel free to contact me via email at: davidlathamjr@hotmail.com

• tnrebel53_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone have the length of the motion (tractor) drive belt for A Scott Model # 50567x8.

I just found this site and the above drawing is the same as my Scott. This is a large mower, 20 HP Kohler and 50 in ch deck.

• tnrebel53_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone have the length of the motion (tractor) drive belt for A Scott Model # 50567x8.

I just found this site and the above drawing is the same as my Scott. This is a large mower, 20 HP Kohler and 50 in ch deck.

• lobosco12
    13 years ago

I have the same Scotts mower 50567x8. It is made by Murray for Scotts. I found a very helpful site that has all of the parts diagrams and original part numbers. Many have changed or have substitutions since it is an older mower. The site shows the motion drive hydro belt as 37 x 61 original part #710581. I hope that helps... I'll paste the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Parts Diagrams for 50567X8

• mark_violetteenterprise_com
    13 years ago

I thought my tranny was messed up I took it apart then noticed the wheel key was missing on 1 side so I put the tranny back together and used 80w Lucus Oil I think I made a mistake because now it does not move at all with the key missing it moved a little but now nothing what should I do I need help thanks Mark.

• doubledeucehobby_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a scotts 50560x8 mower that the transmission will engage but is so sluggish, if you attempt a hill or even just engage the blade it just sits there. Its almost like a clutch problem where the plates are slipping. Is there a place I can get a exploded view of the transmission? I'd like to have such before I attempt to open the thing up and attempt repair.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

The following link might help... pay particular attention to the 799030 kit

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Tecumseh/peerless_transaxle.html

Also, search this forum for bellows kit and you'll find valuable reading regarding your transmissin.

• discoverywork_aol_com
    12 years ago

I was clearing/cutting up some brush with my 20 HP Kohlor craftsman tractor when I heard a snap as I pushed it a little to close and into some wild rose vines to cut them away.....kinda loud snap...then the trans quit on me...did I break a part inside if it?...and if you think I did, can you tell me how to take the trans off the mower to open it up and look around using the diagram in the manual to see what might be broken inside?

• mownie
    12 years ago

***"I was clearing/cutting up some brush with my 20 HP Kohlor craftsman"***
    (groan) To begin, you need a specific description of which tractor you have. Raise the seat and find the decal with the technical model number on it. Usually this is a 9 or 10 digit number beginning with 917.
    Only when members can determine which tractor is being spotlighted can anybody hazard a guess of what might have "snapped" and (hopefully) guide you to a solution.

• williamfavor_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

I am working on scotts17 hp 42 inch cut and the owner said he used it before he brought it to me for service. But the transaxle won't engage in any gear. It has two electrical wires running to the rear axle and I wondered if they are a part of what is wrong before I take it down. The mount to what appears to be a syn inside the casing. Any one know what these elect connection are related to?

• ccking56
    11 years ago

I also have a scotts mower 50567X8 and like the machine. The belt was worn to the transmission and I replaced it. The mower took off like a rocket but the slowed to a crawl after it warmed up. Anybody have any ideas??

• Tom Iorio
    5 years ago

My Scotts 15/42 riding tractor's transmission is slipping. Initially engages then shortly after starts to slip and hardly moves. Any suggestions?

• tomplum
    5 years ago

It could be a belt, too much debris keeping the clutch from fully returning, a faulty transmission, it could be a Deere, it could be a Murray.

• Tom Iorio
    5 years ago

Having steering issues with my Scotts 1542. Right side front wheel has a lot of play and doesn't turn as much as left. Ideas?

• Chris Roedel
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I went to pick up a Scott’s 23/48 lawn more for my grandmother loaded it on trailer drove to her house and started it up won’t go forward or backward I did lock the park brake for the ride any ideas to check why it won’t drive it is hydro tranny it will not free roll without pulling bar on back

• tomplum
    4 years ago

None of grandma's fresh baked cookies until this gets fixed! Does it seem as though the brake pedal comes all the way back up? Like maybe the pedal hasn't fully returned after disengaging the park brake? If it does at least roll, best guess is maybe the traction belt hopped off a pulley. If it does not actually roll- maybe the brake caliper or caliper arm is stuck. If you lift one rear corner and turn the tire, it shouldn't freewheel. If it does, you may have a missing /damaged wheel key as shown above. Best of luck.

• toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

Chris, I have a JD that's about 3 years old (so not even your brand) and it has a little lever (really just a thick wire) sticking out of the back of the tranny rear end. It's a disengage lever. If this is pulled out, the mower will roll around by pushing but will not go forward or reverse with engine running. Push it back in and it goes. It's supposed to help you with manual rolling. Maybe yours has one.

• toxcrusadr
    4 years ago
Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm