Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandrel/Quill replacement

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:17

Hi Folks,

Craftsman GT500, 917.275972 w/26 HP Briggs. I think one of the Quills has started to make noise. Lost a lot of my hearing in Sunny SouthEast Asia so will have to wait for my brother to wander by and check it out.

THe machine is 9 years old and I mow 4 acres, so if I don't need it now, probably will in the future.

Quill part # 137152, Parts List also shows "Bearing, Ball Mandrel." # 110485X. Anyone know if it's worth while to replace the bearing or just "bite the bullet" and get the whole unit?

Where's a good place or manufacturer to buy these? Obviously can cross reference that part number and find them all over the web. Thinking that if I order one I'll just get two to save on S&H.

Thoughts, opinions, or observations welcome.

THanks for your time,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandrel/Quill replacement

Here's how these go. Bearings are replaceable and can be sourced at nearly any decent OPE dealer or bearing house. The lowers take most the wear and if you wanted to do it on the cheap- you could get away with just the lowers on your own equipment. After driving out the shaft, give the tops a roll w/ the tip of your finger. If they roll smooth, they're ok. About a 1/4 of the time the lower bearing comes out with the shaft -meaning you would need to go through the work of pulling or have it pulled from the shaft. BTW, don't remove the spindles from the deck to do the bearing work. 143651 is the complete mandrel # should you have a cracked leg. You can also replace just the shaft kit. They used to come with both bearings, but I think they now include only the lower.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 7:05

Thanks Tom,

I see that now, I just made an assumption that you had to replace the whole thing.

Ev

o

Back when i was just starting out with fixing mowers, and really uninitiated in the whats and whys of mower spindles--i decided to replace a noisy mandrell on my Craftsman Lawn tractor deck.
A liberal application of PB Blaster seemed like it would work, so i applied it, allowed it to sit and soak in, then applied the socket wrench and----SNAP! That loud SNAP told me to go buy a new mandrel, with all of the parts associated with it. I have learned a lot since then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here