Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johns08

How much does it cost YOU for gas to mow?

johns08
16 years ago

I mow about 3/4 of an acre with my Simplicity Regent (16 hp Honda twin) and takes about one gallon of gas. That's close to $3.50. There are homes in my area that have huge lawns and homeowners with much bigger equipment. I wonder if the high cost of gas will affect their mowing habits.

Also, what about the "cut no more than 1/3 rule"? It requires cutting the grass much more often than waiting until it really needs it. Is this a big waste of energy and cause of more pollution? I personally won't mow anymore than necessary.

So what does it cost You to mow?

Comments (11)

• metal
    16 years ago

Less than the $40 per mowing it would cost to hire someone to do it. I can almost smell the oxygen my lawn emits and since I mow it at the right times I don't have much need for weed killers and I minimize the use of fertilizer.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Reminds me when I was a kid and went down to the gas station with a gal. glass jug and $.25!

• hortsense
    16 years ago

When I was a kid... I'd start of walking to the gas station with an empty gas can and emptier pockets. On a good day, I'd find 7-8 empty glass bottles (at 5 cents a piece for the deposit) on the mile and a half walk. More than enough for a gallon of gas and a FULL soda for the return trip.
    I used to mow the odd neighborhood lawn for about $3.00 back then. A veritable fortune and the best job I ever had (made my own hours, great tan, and NO TAXES!).

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

about 35.00 a week.

but when you figure inthe grass at the office in town, the office and tower inthe next town, and the 2 other tower sites that i mow, i make about 250 or so a week from that. my work pays for my gas to get to the sites to cut it too.

• marineguy
    16 years ago

I fill my tank about every three mows (3 gal), and I have about 2/3 acre of actual grass to mow. So I guess it costs me about $3.50 per mow. Gas could be $10 a gallon and I'd still mow twice a week. Between tilling, grading, sodding, rolling, and fertilizing, aerating and thatching, I put a lot of money and effort into that lawn and I don't intend to neglect it when it comes to keeping it the proper length.

I refuse to let gas prices alter my lifestyle. Since my wife stays home with the kids and I drive 25 minutes each way to work, it would make sense to leave the GMC in the garage and drive the VW to work, rather than the other way around. But I never claimed to have any sense.

I guess I'm just a whipper-snapper here in this forum, but when I was old enough to mow but too young to work--1984 to 1989--I'd charge my grandfathers' friends $10 to mow yards which were less than 1/4 acre (pushed, no trimming, their mower). Gas was around a dollar then. Twenty years later, my neighbor's kid charges the other neighbor $20 to mow a 1/2 acre lawn (basically the same rate). And his parents even thought that was a bit steep. So even though fuel has tripled in price as of late, it wasn't until recently that inflation really started to affect so many other things. But I wouldn't say a homeowners' lawn-mowing frequency is one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: gas price index

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

marineguy, i used to charge 5-10.00 a lawn to mow as well. every Saturday morning i grabbed my grandfather's mower and a 1 gallon can and walked up and down their street asking if i could cut grass. going rate now for the same sized lawn i used to cut is 35.00 if you use a kid, 45 and up if you use one of the many lawn "pros" out there.

• johnml
    16 years ago

Old time stories, love it.

When I ws a kid we spent summers on Block Island. I worked for Capt. Dunn mowing lawns. He would load a couple of kids, several gallon jugs of gas with rag stoppers, and a couple of power reel mowers in his Model A, and we would go to mow lawns for .35 cents an hour and all the iced water we could drink. I broke the jug once and docked the gas from my pay..

Most of the lawns we mowed were rich people's, Once a week we mowed the Dupont's lawn. Mrs Dupont would give us lemonade and cake.She would promise us a tip if we would do a good job, and the tip of a couple of bucks was more than Capt. Dunn paid us.

Capt. Dunn was a good man though. He sold me an old rowing dory for $5 and then worked on it with me for hours replacing a plank, the seats, and the transom, , showing me how to caulk, painting it. He then showed me the best places to clam -- I could get $2.50 for a bushel of clams. He also taught me about small engines as he always had a couple being rebuilt-- lawn mowers or marine engines for lobster boats.

• larso1
    16 years ago

And don't forget there were no gas trimmers back then either. I remember getting blisters on my hand from using those scissor type grass clippers that were almost worthless, but still expected to trim along all the fences and around the trees. No offer of lemonade either, instead I would suck the water from the sprinkler heads (remember those non-pop-up cast brass sprays?) to get a cool drink. Things are so much better now, don't want to go back.

• suresh kasar
    8 years ago

cost of grass cutter

• yccnewsman
    8 years ago

There's a lot of variables to think about. Are there a lot of trees to go around on your property? Are there any hills? And if you live in a higher elevation it will affect your gas consumption. With the limited information that you have given us, I don't think that you are using that much more fuel than any of the rest of us.

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

$3,000 for the tractor - for 10 year life = $5.77 a week

Mow 1.5 times a week (5,000 SqFt yard) using 1.5 gal of gas = $3 per week

Not counting trimming or leaf blowing.

$8.77 a week.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County