Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian33790

Honda GCV530 loss of power and 'spluttering'

brian33790
13 years ago

Hi all, I know this is April 1st, but this isn't a joke!

I have a Honda HF2216 tractor mower with a Honda GCV530 engine, recently I have had the following problems

It starts ok but after 10 - 20 mins or so depending on the temperature outside, it splutters and 'pops' and power drops.

This is worse when I engage the cutters and sometimes seems to cause it

I smell fuel from the exhaust all the time when this happens but after a while (maybe anything from 5-10 mins, it may suddenly resume full power and the petrol smell goes away.

I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs drained the tank and changed the fuel filter.

Today I discovered that the engine will still run if I disconnect No1 spark plug, but not if I disconnect N0 2 spark plug (obviously the other is still connected each time).

I checked the spark and found No 1 has virtually no spark most of the time whereas No 2 is healthy all the time.

So what should I try changing first?

Can one just change the carbon lead, or is it part of a unit with the ignition coil?

I think also there is something called a 'stop engine diode' could this be responsible

anyone have any experience please?

thanks

Comments (6)

• mownie
    13 years ago

I have no experience with that specific engine, but typically, the spark cable is not a separately available item.
    You should access the spark cable and trace it carefully to its source, inspecting closely for sings that the cable has been shorting to ground because of a chafed spot on the cable insulation. If you find such a spot, you might be able to adjust the lay of the cable away from whatever has chafed it.
    Mice seem to get their jollies eating electrical insulation off of various wiring so you might encounter that. Damage to high tension cables can sometimes be repaired by slavering the damaged spot with "brush on" vinyl liquid insulating sealant (available in home center electrical dept) or RTV (silicone sealant/caulk). Whether you use the vinyl compound or the RTV, you should coat the entire circumference of the cable for about 3/4 inch on both sides of the damage site. Let the repaired spot cure for at least a full days time before trying in service.
    I will presume the "stop engine diode" to be similar to what Briggs uses. It is actually a pair of diodes.
    The image below illustrates what the Briggs manual states about the Vanguard Twin diodes.

{{gwi:319398}}

• brian33790
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks for your comments, the diode table is useful, certainly fits the bill and could be the cause, but I'm not sure if that sort of component would fail and then be ok for a while and then fail again etc. I would have thought when it fails it does so terminally, but as I said, sometimes the engine runs fine.
    I will dismantle the covers and examine the spark cable tomorrow and see where I go from there.

• mownie
    13 years ago

The diode "per se" might not fail intermittently.......but it too is connected with some type of connecting terminals/plugs, and those would be subject to becoming loose, or chafed, or corroded............which MIGHT mimic some of the diode failure modes.

• brian33790
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for your help,

I checked the lead to the plug that was giving me trouble, but could find no evidence of arcing or wear.
    I tested the diodes with a multimeter and they checked out fine.
    So today I went and bought a new ignition coil for that side (which included the cable and connector as a 'sealed ' unit ). I have fitted it and have just completed cutting all 2 acres of my garden without a single 'splutter' which would have been impossible yesterday, so I am thinking and hoping that it has sorted the problem.
    I hope by posting the result it may benefit someone else with a similar problem.

thanks again to those who responded :-))

• Mick Farr
    2 years ago

Some very useful information there many thanks

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions