Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lrm2_gw

Craftsman rider died

LRM2
11 years ago

I posted about this machine a couple of weeks ago when I had some problems with safety switches. It is a 536.270282 Mid-Engine Rider.
I had it running by adding a switch to the magneto ground as a temporary workaround. Yesterday while mowing it made a sound like I had run over a big chunk of metal -- except I hadn't. Didn't hit anything, but it made a horrible noise and died.
It won't start at all now. When I crank it, there is no air pressure at all out of the exhaust. The flywheel turns freely in both directions. I suspect something pretty seriously wrong!
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Lewis

Comments (9)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Remove the spark plug and insert a wooden pencil or similar through the hole.
    CAREFULLY, slowly, rotate the engine. You should feel the piston move up & down. I have a hunch you won't.

• LRM2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bill. Your hunch is correct. Nothing moving up and down. What does that mean for the engine?
    Lewis

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

At least a broken rod.
    Depending on additional possible damage, maybe another (used?) engine would be the way to go?

• LRM2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did buy a new engine, and it seems like a pretty straightforward job to install. I do have one question: The only difference in wiring between the old and new engine are the gray and black wires coming from the bottom of the carb on the new engine. The black goes under the cowl and does not reappear in the wiring harness. The gray is in the wiring harness, but I don't know where to hook it up. Is there a standard way to do it?
    Thanks,
    Lewis

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Carb solenoid would have 12V to it when the engine is ON.

I assume the old engine didn't have a carb solenoid?

There's not a "clean" way of utilizing one with your current ignition switch, since the battery is always hooked to the charge diode.
    You'd pretty much have to change the key switch (and plug) or add a separate toggle switch to give the solenoid 12V. You'd also have to remember to shut it off to prevent draining the battery when not in use.

EDIT-
    From the schematic, it appears your ignition switch has an "L" terminal that is unused.
    IF SO- hook that to the carb solenoid and all should be well.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 0:40

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Upon further review (as they say)-
    Your schematic has to be messed up!

The L terminal of the key switch should be connected to the DC output of the stator.
    Splice the fuel solenoid wire to the wire that goes to L.
    That SHOULD shut off the fuel solenoid in the OFF position & On when in the ON position.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Wed, May 1, 13 at 0:37

• LRM2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill,
    I suspect that Craftsman made a number of slightly different variations of that mower over the course of a few years, but didn't make new manuals for each one. It's a little frustrating for me, but with the help of people like you with a lot of experience, I hope to muddle through.
    I'll check out the ignition switch and verify that the L terminal has 12V only when the key is switched on, and then hook up the carb solenoid by plugging or splicing it in.
    On another note, I knew that the exhaust on the new engine is on the opposite side compared to the old engine. And I knew the new engine was coming without a muffler. But I was surprised to see that the exhaust port on the new engine is not threaded for a muffler; it just has two holes to bolt on some sort of adapter. I will have to do a little rigging to get a muffler set up.
    Thanks for all your help so far. I'm hoping to get everything back together tomorrow and mow before it rains the rest of the week. I won't be surprised if I need more help before I'm through!
    Lewis

• LRM2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was a little surprised, but everything went together well, and I got the yard mowed before the rain came. Thanks again for all the help!

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Good to hear!