Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josmoe

Scotts S2046 transmission drive belt installation instructions ?

Josmoe
12 years ago

Hi,

The transmission drive belt on my Scotts S2046 ride on tractor mower has broken. I have the user manual but there are no instructions or diagram showing how to replace.

Could someone send me the routing diagram and instructions please.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Smo

Scotts tractors were sold by Home Depot and built on the cheap by John Deere so there may be an equivalent John Deere model instructions that work.

Comments (10)

• User
    12 years ago

Here's the diagram for a JD/Scotts S2046 drive belt.

Got it in 30 seconds from the JD web site.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

• Josmoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I had seen that diagram from their parts list. Unfortunately I am not much of a mechanic and the underside of my tractor looks a bit more complicated than that.

Does anyone have any instructions on what to do to install the belt ?

• User
    12 years ago

Remove the mowing deck and it will look a lot simpler under there.

That diagram pretty much tells what you need to know if you are mechanically inclined.

There are idler pulleys that need to be checked for wear and binding (3,14,15).

Remove the spring (9) to allow the idler to swing out of the way and give the belt slack so you can remove it.

Make triple sure the replacement belt is an OEM Scotts (JD) belt and not an aftermarket cheapie unless you want to replace the belt again real soon.

If it seems too complicated that's OK. Take the tractor to a repair shop and pay them to do what you don't know how to do. As much as that may stick in your craw it will be the smartest move for you.

• Josmoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that helped a lot, especially the tip about removing spring 9 (which took a bit of brute force). without that seemingly obvious tip I could have been hacking around for a while :).

Belt now changed and running again. I needed to also disconnect the steering rod and the foot brake locking mechanism. Not sure that is the proper method but it is what seemed to be needed.

Thanks again for your good advice,

Joe

• nag37
    10 years ago

I picked a stick up while mowing and it jammed in the drive system. Will replace the belt and 1 plastic idler pulley. My tractor is a S1742 scotts, 2000 model. My question is how much slop should be in the pulley on top of the transmission? I'm thinking probably none but just wondering if anybody might have an answer for this. This has been a great mower. Also, can I get a parts diagram from JD website as mentions earlier. Thanks for any help you might give me.

• Bubba James
    8 years ago

Josmoe,

"Scotts tractors were sold by Home Depot and built on the cheap by John Deere"

The internet is an amazing place where the misinformed can spout off. You might want to do some research before offering up your wisdom.

The Scotts tractors, made by John Deere in a John Deere facility, were an outgrowth of the Sabre program, which was an effort to bring a quality, lower cost lawn tractor to the mass market. Essentially, the Scotts, like the Sabre, was based on the existing STX38 and STX46 designs with some changes (engine, front wheel bearings, front axle, tires and cosmetics) to hit that lower price point. Everything else was 'the same' as the STX.

These were good homeowner machines - certainly superior to their competition at the time. They were efficient, safe and reliable. For customers who needed a more robust tractor, Deere offered a premium line of lawn care equipment.

Since you are so disgusted that you broke a traction drive belt on your 12-year old Scotts, I suggest you stick with a Murray or Craftsman in the future and see how 'satisfied' you are.

And, yes, my S2046 Scotts is still going strong, thank you very much. And, yes, I do maintain it.

• woolleyala
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey thanks jmchang on the tip about using a socket wrench on the idler pully (15)!!

I was stuck way down in the lower 40...a stick knocked the belt off the pullys. Mud everywhere. I could not get the belt on with the mower deck on and I didin't want to try to take the deck off between the vineyard rows. I only had a couple rows t go...almost done. The mower was going no where without the belt on. I read jmchang's suggestion, grabbed a socket wrench, and in 5 minutes I was mowing again! Fast and easy...thanks. To get clearance for the socket wrench, I engaged the mower PTO.

• sendmejunko
    8 years ago

Good day to all, I have read the above comments and still have one question with regard to my S2046; that being: how to remove the transmission drive drive belt from over the top of the plastic cooling fan and belt pulley. I have researched the link provided by 'Justa...' but was unable to find a/the method. It appears that it can't be accessed from the battery compartment and I afraid someone is going to say: "Oh it's easy, just remove the rear wheel and transmission assembly." Any and all (other) suggestions are greatly thanked in advance!

• sendmejunko
    8 years ago

A clarification: One thing I must point out, it that the break down in 'Justa...'s' link of the 'drive train' (Model Search) (S2046)/Pic Ind/3 Scotts S2046.../...Pow Train. is NOT descriptive of my machine. It does not show the fan below the pulley (nor would it in this particular diagram) in my machine the shown carriage bolt for the rear pulley is shown -top- up. My 'diagram' would show a threaded stud into the frame of the transmission casing, through the plastic fan and (MP18422 pulley) and the opposite end -threads and nut- 'up' toward the seat. Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County