Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrob_2007

Poulan Pro tractor broken axle/transmission

mrob_2007
17 years ago

I have a 1999 Poulan Pro 17hp Hydrostatic lawn tractor. While operating it the right side axle/transmission locked up and broke the wheel and axle right off. All Sears could tell me was that it probably needed a entirely new transmission and they go for ~$600. Can anyone tell me what might be the issue? Can the transmission be removed and repaired instead of replaced? Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• altbob
    17 years ago

some of the older poulan tractors were made by mtd,I think they are now made by american yard products inc. the same thing as craftsman. you need to get the model number of that transmission and see if you can get a replacement that will bolt right in. did the axle break off on the end? did you lose hydraulic oil when this happened? if not, it might be an easy fix provided you can access the inside of it without too much trouble. swapping the whole transmission out for another should not be that difficult either. you might try removing it and taking it to a reputable dealer for an opinion. try to find someone who repairs all makes and models.if the only way is to pay the 600, then considering the age of the tractor, you might want to look at something new. transmissions can be had cheaper than 600 depending on the model.

• mrob_2007
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes the axle broke off at the end about halfway between the transmission and the wheel. It did not leak oil. Are you thinking parts can be replaced inside the transmission? I was wondering what other brands were interchangeable so thanks for that info. I'll take a look at the transmission to see if I can find any numbers.

• tomplum
    17 years ago

I would try research by the chassis model # on the Sears website . That will give you a better idea on cost. Once you have the part # for the transaxel, throw that into the parts search as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears parts

• bob_l
    17 years ago

How do you know the transaxle is bad? If it's just a broken axle a good shop may be able to weld it.

• wally2q
    17 years ago

how does one break an axle on a lawn tractor?

• mrob_2007
    Original Author
    17 years ago

While the tractor was in motion the right wheel locked up. The motion and weight of the tractor effectively twisted the axle in half between the transmission casing and the wheel. I suppose the big question is why did that side lock up in the first place. Looks like the transaxle # is 150071 319-0650 and they're available for around $500 minimum. I was able to find a diagram of the inner transaxle so I guess the next step is to attempt opening the transaxle casing to see. Anyone know how you go about sealing it up again properly?

• altbob
    16 years ago

try to jack up the tractor so the rear wheels are off the ground. start it up and put it in drive/foward and see if whats left of the axle spins as it should. if ok, then try in reverse as well. if still ok, then try to grab the opposite wheel that is spinning and attempt to put a load on it as it spins slowly, this might take two people. if still ok. then do what the previous poster said and get it welded at a welding shop. there is a possibility that something is floating around inside the hydro unit causing this thing to jam up, like a broken gear tooth or maybe just a lot of ground up metal or dirt. rtu sealant can cause this problem as well, if the hydraulic pump has no screen to prevent things like this from getting into it. so I would flush and change the hydro fluid and filter as well.
    If the axle does not spin as it should while in gear, then you will need to open the trans case up and inspect it very closely, and try to find what is broken. if nothing, then I would suspect the pump itself. if something broken, try to find a replacement at sears service center. if this is not possible, swap it for a new transmission. you can try www.surpluscenter.com for a new, bolt in lawn tractor transmission. try to see if they can cross reference your part number or model number to one of theirs. hope this helps. altbob

• kiddranger
    16 years ago

Id use a high quality gasket sealer after the case is clean, something oil/gas resistant.
    Welding the axle is fine, considering its done straight, if it twisted and broke, forget it. I find it odd that it broke in the first place, being made of steel typically they dont. Id say something in the trans did break. Instead of looking at new transmissions, id search for a decent non runner parts tractor similar to yours cheep.
    I had a 5 speed manual trans on my older craftsman break ( mine was different - i changed pulleys and spun it way over stock revs to make it faster) , luckily tho mine locked up just as i dropped it in gear, not while i was driving fast. And it did lock! I had to drag it back up the road with the rear wheels locked with one of my other tractors. I was lucky enough to get a bunch of spare tractor parts from a guy who was getting out of the repair business, and a couple spare trannys were included, as well as a new 13.5HP briggs engine. Look thru classified and on www.craigslist.org in your area for parts.
    Kidd

• cesimron_aol_com
    12 years ago

Where can I find an exploded drawing to repair a 12.5 hp 38" Poulan Pro lawn mower? Part of the model # is PP125H 38. . .