Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wish me luck please! Trying to get Dads old stuff running again!

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 14:27

Time for a yard sale or Craigs list!

Dads barn and buildings have a lot of good stuff, appearance wise. But they have been sitting for at least 6 years, he died last year at 87. A nice Cub mower, but the deck needs repair, 4 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, and 2 leaf blowers.

First task is to clean the carbs, all have old gas in them, and Dad was notorious for adding too much oil in the gas for the 2 strokes. He was also bad about adding to much oil in 4 strokes. I live next door and when I would start my old AC tractor it would smoke like crazy. I caught him one day, he couldn't see the fill line and was adding oil! LOL

Any suggestions on other stuff that I might need to do before trying to start them? I don't need to break my wrist again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wish me luck please! Trying to get Dads old stuff running aga

chk for mice nests under engine cowling....

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 19:15

If it's old gas, you might be in luck and have no varnish. Remove the old gas, add new, and try.

o

Seek professional help closer to home! RJ

o

Everything went well! I just filled them with fresh gas, and pulled the rope a few times! One weed eater and one chain saw required a little shot of starting fluid. They stumbled a little and came to life!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here