Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris0831

Time to replace the GR....

chris0831
11 years ago

Well folks....when I bought my GR 2100 in 05, it was suppose to be my last tractor. Wrong (I think). I've e been through all the leaking issues and had the tranny rebuilt and now I have another leak in one of the input shaft for the left rear clutch (disscused in my other thread on here_), but even if I get this fixed (when), I just don't have a good feeling about this machine. The motor is bullet proof, but the tranny and glide steer I have a feeling are going to continue to cause me grief. Sooo...Ive got about 225 hours on it and it's had all the fixes and it has a Johnny Bucket (which is the best part of the machine).....so I figure I should be able to get about 4k...maybe 4.5K...maybe that's too high? Anyway, I would be willing to put another 3K in a new machine so for 7 to 7.5K I need to replace the GR. I need a minimum of a 50 inch cut and something that has the power (and a non leaky tranny) to do some hauling and pushing (in short, a Garden tractor). I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. I am not particular to one brand or another, but I would prefer new to used......I MIGHT consider a really GOOD used unit...anyway....thanks for read this long and somewhat rambling post. : )

Chris

Comments (15)

• wheely_boy
    11 years ago

Interesting post. Not what you would expect from a $8000+ tractor. I did a quick search and found scores of complaints about the tranny. I was under the impression from posts on this site that Kubotas were bullet proof. I bet the frame isn't cracked though...

• larso1
    11 years ago

I haven't seen anything bad about the Kubota BX series sub-compact tractors. You might consider a good used one as on ebay, but John Deere makes a real nice 1-series sub compact as well. Both are loader and mid mount mower capable. Some nice ones on ebay for an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-BX2230-Diesel-Hydrostatic-4WD-Compact-Tractor-W-Loader-Mower-More-/290889679054?pt=Tractors&hash=item43ba6040ce

Here is a link that might be useful: JD 1-series

• User
    11 years ago

You said GARDEN tractor so that precludes the Kubota BX and that's good because you'd be hard pressed to find a clean BX for $7k. The BX is a sweetie though especially with an FEL.

Don't know where you are but to start I'd visit the JD dealer and look at an X540 or X530.

Then I'd find a simplicity dealer and look at their Conquest and Prestige offerings.

BTW, you Johnny bucket might work on both the JD and Simplicity with a mounting change.

• larso1
    11 years ago

You can get used BX2200s with mowing deck all day long for $6K to $7K. All you have to do is Google. FEL will cost you tho. A used sub-cut is what I'd look for if I was u. Anything less is just a garden tractor which may be fun to play with but not a serious ground working machine, and the attachments are almost as expensive for the GT's as they are for the sub-cuts and the compacts.

This post was edited by larso1 on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:07

• User
    11 years ago

Lucky you cause around here any BX in really nice condition with reasonable hours brings over $10k without mower or FEL... just naked.

If a really clean BX can be had in the OP's area with MMM for $7k that is the move to make without a doubt UNLESS the OP is really soured on Kubota and the local dealer.

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Gents....

Thanks to all for taking the time and effort to respond. As much as I would like to have a BX, I really can't justify it. I am not soured on Kobota as a whole, just the GR series......they really missed the mark on that one! All I need to do is cut grass, haul some firewood and dirt and use the bucket for moving mulch for flowerbeds and crush n run for fixing holes is the driveway. I am thinking about the simplicity maybe? Thanks again everyone. : )

Chris

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok...I just wrote a long post and lost it...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The abriveiated version is that the dealer is offering me a new BX 2360 with a loader and 60" deck for my tractor (2005 GR 2100/w a johnny bucket, 225 hours) + 8600.00. What am I missing?? He said he normally sells the BX equipped like I want it for 16086 and if that is the case, he's giving me approximately 7700.00 for a tractor that is 7 years old and only cost 8K to begin with. What the **** am I missing????

• User
    11 years ago

What are you missing? Sounds like the dealer thinks he can get reimbursed by Kubota on fixing the GR or maybe the dealer has someone looking for a used GR but it really doesn't matter. That deal is TOO GOOD TO PASS UP.

Hook up the trailer and load up the GR. Go to bank and get to the dealer FAST!

You'll LOVE the BX.

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what the dealer is thinking. He HAS my GR now....there was some leaking around the left rear wheel clutch acutaion shaft that he is fixing. I keep having this sickning feeling I'm gonna get a call saying that he made a mistake with the numbers, but he seems quite confident they are correct. I talked to him this afternoon and he is going to touch base with the owner in the morning and give me a call. If all is still well I will go in tomorrow and do teh paper work and they will deliver it Monday.....guess we'll see.....

• User
    11 years ago

NEVER look a gift tractor deal in the mouth...

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Agreed.......

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Talked with the salesman this AM. His offer for the 2360 a front end loader and 54" deck for 8600.00 and my GR stands. If I go for the 2370, it goes up to amost 11K and the GR. He said the that Kuybota is offering incentives to the dealers to get rid of the 2360's. The 2370's are nice, but they are not an extra 2K nice.....in my opinion. Going in today at 4 to do the paper work for the 2360. : )

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Signed, sealed, but not yet delivered. After all the paperwork is done, they are giving me 6400.00 for the old GR. Not bad for an 8 year old machine that only cost 8K to begin with......it is to be delivered on Monday. WoooHooooo!!

• User
    11 years ago

You are about to take a GIANT step UP and you're gonna like it.

Best of all, the trailer that brings the BX will take all your GR troubles away.

Good move... enjoy.

• larso1
    11 years ago

Congratulations!... very nice machine and well equipped

Sponsored