Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Opinions please between buying two tractors

baymee
12 years ago

My neighbor asked my opinion about these two models. They both come from Lowes and I have a negative opinion about big box mowers because I work on so many of them, but maybe I'm wrong about the tractors.

A JD140 with 22HP Briggs and a Cub Cadet 1050 with a 22HP Kohler.

It will be used for a multi-acre lot.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (24)

• User
    12 years ago

Tell your friend to buy the JD D140 from the local JD dealer. The price will be the same and the dealer will be doing the warranty work regardless of where it's purchased so why not make a friend?

• rcbe
    12 years ago

Ditto with the CC ltx 1050 - dealer, not BBS. Same benefits.

• larso1
    12 years ago

Except that CC is consistently rated low relative to reliability. Say what you want about Consumer Reports (Consumer Distorts) I take the consumer feedback seriously, why would the consumer lie about their purchase experience?

• User
    12 years ago

The upper tier CC L&G products are markedly higher quality and uses better components than the entry level MTD made Cubs. Entry level Cubs don't fare well in reviews, Consumer Reports and in the field. Resale value of used entry level Cubs SUCK and used current models are often available on craigslist for CHEAP cause the owners get ticked off at them... especially when bought from the box store and there's no real Cub dealer around.

The entry level JD L&G stuff is backed by dealers with parts departments and trained techs. Resale and trade-in value is higher with a JD product and parts tend to be available for a very long time.

• User
    12 years ago

The upper tier CC L&G products are markedly higher quality and uses better components than the entry level MTD made Cubs. Entry level Cubs don't fare well in reviews, Consumer Reports and in the field. Resale value of used entry level Cubs SUCK and used current models are often available on craigslist for CHEAP cause the owners get ticked off at them... especially when bought from the box store and there's no real Cub dealer around.

The entry level JD L&G stuff is backed by dealers with parts departments and trained techs. Resale and trade-in value is higher with a JD product and parts tend to be available for a very long time.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

once an antlerhead, always. We agree to disagree. Case closed.

• User
    12 years ago

My Toro and my Kubota disagree and your close mindedness defines you.

Is name calling is the most substantive information you can post? Rather than yellow and gold envy defend your position and answer anything I posted with facts.

Do a national craigslist search and see how many current model and last years CC entry level riders are for sale for 1/2 to 1/3 of what they cost new.

For a long time CC was a great marque and put out a quality product but since MTD bought them and took over production of the 1xxx series the Cubs have taken a dive.

In the end it's all subjective opinion and... it's a matter of how much less you're willing to accept for your money.

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

justalurker, are you saying that only the low-end Cub Cadets are made by MTD, and that somebody else makes the more expensive stuff? Where's the dividing line?

• User
    12 years ago

As far as I recall the 2xxx and up Cubs are still in keeping with the levels of quality and features that made Cub what it was. These models are available through Cub dealers.

If you have a local Cub dealer who has a good reputation they are worth investigating albeit for more money than the box store Cubs. If there's no local Cub dealer than the warranty is useless and you'll be waiting for every part you'll ever need to be delivered.

Check with rcbe and ask him if it's ok for you to look at the John Deere X300. About $3k and built on the garden tractor frame with a 4 year 300 hour warranty.

• User
    12 years ago

Sorry twelvegauge, thought you were the OP.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I think that I would need to know a bit more on what engines they have. I have several Cub Cadet customers that beat the crap out of their 50" decks. They all pretty much have the Command twin, which I would take over the Briggs. Not a Courage mind you. The Cubs all use they same lightweight drive belt that is good for the first 4 years , then every 2 after that if that's all you replace. Hydros stay strong though. Deere is a LITTLE more refined , but better parts availability overall. 2 plus acres of rough country lawn gets to be a bit much for these, and after 7 years -its time for another. He said antlerhead.... :)

• User
    12 years ago

Hey Tom, you too?

Every 1000 Cub I've seen the last few years all had the Courage. Not in the same league as the Command. The latest 1000 series Cubs are just Troy-Bilts with the Cub color scheme. Pretty much cookie cutter MTDs in different flavors.

I've run across a few of the 1500 series around here that are 4-5 years old and they are like the old Cubs and much better than the newer stuff.

There's no real Cub dealer in the state so people who buy Cubs here are really screwed cause they're stuck with authorized independent repair shops and around here they all SUCK and don't stock parts. They let it be known that they really don't want to do warranty work.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

Check it out, jal

Here is a link that might be useful: CC ltx1050

• wheely_boy
    12 years ago

Almost reminds me of the old cracked frame Craftsman discussions.

If I am not mistaken, the BBS Cub mower decks used to be held up with venitian blind hardware. Is that still the case?

• User
    12 years ago

Cub Cadet, Lowes Troy-Bilt, Sears. Look familiar in another color?

{{gwi:320166}}

{{gwi:320168}}

{{gwi:320169}}

Case closed...

• tomplum
    12 years ago

From what I see of the last several years the Cub 50" deck hasn't any issues. Unless they get washed. Nor with the frame or attachment. Seen a few w/ Courage, which the twin isn't too problematic really. The Cub manual at least gave you the right oil cap spec where the K manuals used to be wrong. There have been issues that they've addressed all along, so I guess not a deal breaker if the guy loves yellow. The D seems to be a warmed over L/LA series, which is an old design much like the Cub. Neither are uber mowers, but the budget allows what the budget allows. Deere really does offer better parts support. It's the odd things on MTD that can be problematic.

• User
    12 years ago

Agreed. If there isn't a Cub dealer local to you then I'd pass, but as I said "If you have a local Cub dealer who has a good reputation they are worth investigating" and then the name calling started.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

" Posted by justalurker 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 11:20

Agreed. If there isn't a Cub dealer local to you then I'd pass, but as I said "If you have a local Cub dealer who has a good reputation they are worth investigating" and then the name calling started."

Ain't what was said at the start of this thread.... and you ain't been called no names by me - not yet.

• User
    12 years ago

"once an antlerhead, always"

• baymee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I thought I might get a few opinions, but..........

• EricBarney
    12 years ago

I have looked at the tractors in the BB stores, and just like the rest of the equipment they sell, they are of a lower tier line. No matter the manufacturer. Those tractors are not much more than toys.

A weed whacker is one thing, but a tractor is another. I will always consult with the guys that sell to the pro's. Their equipment is almost always much better for a higher price of course. The value is much more.

My JD LX188 lawn tractor is still running and mowing great after 19 years of use.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

So Baymee- you will have to report back on what the decision is. But, as far as lurker goes- he must have Deere antlers coupled w/ Toro horns 'cause he has that sweet Xi. Probably be a tough beast to butt heads with on the wrong day!

• baymee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The answer is: He developed antlers!

• lkbum_gw
    12 years ago

On Big Box Stores..... On any Saturday or Sunday, you can see several 5 to 10 year olds using the tractors on display as a playground (Home Depot, Dawsonville Ga). I used to see it on occasion, it is now everytime I go into the store. The kids are unattended and having a ball, "shifting" gears, yanking on the throttles and chokes and basically having a great time doing what little boys do. This is always on the units inside the store, the others left out in the rain are usually not getting hammered.