Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadbob

John Deere X300 vs Husqvarna YTH24V42LS

roadbob
11 years ago

John Deere X300 - 42" deck, 18.5hp Kawasaki, Tuff Torq K46 hydro

Husqvarna YTH24V42LS 42" deck, 24hp Kawasaki, Tuff Torq (not sure which one) hydro

I cut about 1.5 acres of pretty flat yard (one ditch), once a week for the spring, summer and fall, side discharge everything. I pull a 4x8 trailer around the yard for planting and clean up (no heavy hauling). No winter use.

John Deere

Plus: service, parts, 4yr warranty.

Minus: price ($500 more).

Husqvarna

Plus: price ($500 less), more HP, 3yr warranty.

Minus: parts availability (dealer doesnt stock many parts, but can get them in a few days), dont know much about the brand (Implement dealer just started selling them).

Im looking for opinions on either of these two lawn tractors. I need to decide by Thursday and I really have not had time to research, so I turned to the most knowledgeable folks I know. If anyone has some tribal knowledge of either one of these models Id appreciate any advice and or opinions.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• justalurker
    11 years ago

John Deere
    Plus: resale value, trained and experienced techs
    BIG PLUS: JD 30 return policy (JD Promise)
    Minus: price ($500 more)... you get what you pay for

Husqvarna
    Plus: price ($500 less),.. the bitterness of less quality lingers long after the sweetness of a lower price is gone
    Minus: new dealer, inexperienced techs,

• twelvegauge
    11 years ago

I think that the Husqvarna has a K46 hydro, like the Deere. While I wouldn't call this a weak link, there are stronger transmissions available. Looking at the engines and transmissions, I would FIRST investigate the Craftsman GARDEN tractor, but, between the two you've named I feel that the Husqvarna is the better buy. (DISCLAIMER: I own two John Deere and one Husqvarna lawn tractors, and I'm not married to either brand.)

• ckr74
    11 years ago

You need to check the build quality of both tractors. Open the hood and observe steering and you'll see why JD costs more. Better quality but you pay more. Your choice.

• justalurker
    11 years ago

While both are lawn tractors the X300 has a far higher quality engine and is built on exactly the same frame as the JD X500 garden tractor.

They both have the K46 in common and while there have been a few complaints from those who use their lawn tractors as garden tractors there are lots of K46 transaxles out there working perfectly and the X300 has a longer warranty.

I buy the X300 at $1000 higher... at only $500 difference it's a no brainer. You can always haggle with the JD dealer or get them to throw in a cart.

• roadbob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the good advice...thats why I shop here! All very valid points regarding the JD X300. I would buy a Simplicity, but I wanted to try something different and Im not really fond of the new BS motors or company

I think justalurker hit a couple things on the head. I think for cutting grass and a little trailer pulling Ill be OK with the K46. I like the bargaining idea; I do need a new fertilizer spreader (possibly at a discount). I need to purchase by tomorrow, so if nothing better pops up, Ill likely go with the JD.

• justalurker
    11 years ago

You might ask your JD dealer if there is an X300 that was returned under the JD promise available at a discount... it would have a full warranty, but you might want a brand new one cause you'll have it for a long time.

• roadbob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Already did that..no dice. I figure this is the last tractor Im going to be purchasing. I better make it good!

• justalurker
    11 years ago

Yea, that's what we all think then we see the bigger, prettier one 6 months later and then...

• roadbob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2 tractors in 23 years, you can say I don't buy for resale value and I take care of things.

• ckr74
    11 years ago

You'll be glad you spent some extra bucks on a JD. There are other brands that are just as good as JD and then there are brands that are pure junk with a pricepoint.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler