Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris0831

GR 2100 leaking...again

chris0831
11 years ago

Greetings.....

I have a 2005 GR2100. I am going to try very hard not to do any brand bashing here. It was less then two years old when the tranny started leaking at the axle shafts. Most eveyone probably knows by now about the tranny problems Kubota had on this model so I won't belabor the point. Anyway...long story very short, at approximatly 120 hours they installed the rebuild kit that was Kubota's "solution" to the leaking problem. That stoped the leaking...until now.. The unit has approximatly 220 hours on it now, so 100 hours later it has a "new" leak, It's not from the axles seals this time. Each rear wheel has an input shaft to operate the clutch for that wheel. The one for the left wheel is leaking....nothing else, just that. I do not think the transmission has to be opened up to fix it, but I do not know. Does anyone know whats involved with replacing this seal? The dealer is "working up an estimate" and as far as I am concerned they (and/or Kubota) should bare at least part of the expense for the repair. I know it's been a few years, but only 100 hours. This thing has had an anemic transmission from the start...I've learned to live with that, but I am over the the poor design and craftsmanship on this thing......the reason for the leak.

Locknut (or anyone else) I would enjoy hearing your take on it. Thanks guys....

Chris

Comments (3)

• User
    11 years ago

Chris,

Often times a skilled tech or a VERY savvy mechanic can replace a seal from the outside of the assembly. If there's no boss retaining the seal in the case and the seal can be slid off the shaft it can be done. I've done it thousands of time on motorcycles over 20 years without a single failure.

You'd need to drain the trans or jack up the tractor so the oil runs away from the seal area.

Trick is installing the replacement seal without damaging the lip of the seal while sliding it down the shaft to the case and setting the seal at the correct depth in the case while keeping everything clean.

BTW, often the dimensions of the seal are embossed on it and you don't need to go to the dealer for the part unless it's a special double or triple lip seal.

Can you post a picture?

• chris0831
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Lurk...

Thanks for taking the time and effort to respond. I don't have a picture and it would be somewhat difficult to get one. In a nutshell, the linkage for the glide steer cable for the left rear wheel hooks to this shaft. If the shaft is not damaged (I.e., bent) then the case need not be opened up and as I understand it, it's an o-ring, not a seal. My concern with doing it myself is that if I don't get the linkage for the clutch adjusted correctly, THEN I will be cracking open the tyranny to replace the clutch. If the shaft is not damaged the dealer wants 343.00 to replace the 0-ring (3 hours labor plus parts etc). If he has to go into it, it gonna start at 1250.00 and go up from there depending on what is wrong inside. The dealer is going to ask the district rep if Kubota will maybe split the cost with me. If the. Will, I'll let them do it, if not I'll buy the 1.76 o-ring and attempt it myself. Guess well see... : ). Thanks again!

• User
    11 years ago

O-rings usually sit in a groove and are VERY difficult to replace without disassembly.

A few years ago I came to within a heartbeat of buying a really clean used GR2100 but researching the glidesteer changed my mind. VERY complicated and expensive to own if they have problems.

I'd lean on the dealer and Kubota. That trans fiasco is well documented and they should stand the cost of repair.

Let us know what happens.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH