Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace deck on 2004 MTD riding mower.

Posted by NZWeekender none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 16:34

Hello,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me please?

My Dad has this 46" MTD Yardman riding mower. The model number is:
13AT604H701

The deck has rusted out and needs replacing and he's asked me if I can help find him what he needs. So I have a few questions if I may;

1. Checking online I get the deck shell part number as:
MTD 983-04125 (replaces 683-04103) but there seems to be a number of different variants of this part number, such as:
983-04125-0637
983-04125-0665
983-04125-0709
The last two have in their description "SD". Does that mean side discharge (which is what is needed)?

2. The part numbers above are for the shell with no wash port but there is another few shells with wash ports on the list so do you think i might as well get one with a wash port, if that's the only difference between the shells?

3. Dad also asked me to look around for a new 42" riding mower because his 46" deck is too large to fit in quite a few places. So now I'm wondering if there is an option to swap his 46" deck out for a 42" one and save him some money - the rest of the mower is fine, just the deck is not so good. But I guess that would mean going from a 3-spindle to a 2-spindle and I don't know if that's going to work out much of a saving, if any, but i thought I'd ask firstly if it's possible and secondly what parts I'd need please?

4. Where is a good place to purchase such parts like MTD/Cub Cadet deck shells and other spare parts please?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace deck on 2004 MTD riding mower.

The difference in the last 4 digits are color codes- but otherwise would be the same deck. Washouts may have been added to later built decks, so maybe it will have one or not. The black would be 0637 which may be the easiest one to find. You can search online using the 983-04125, you will want to identify that the retailer ACTUALLY has one. Try Searspartsdirect, EBAY, look for used, have your local dealer check his distributor. The other thing to know is you will very likely break off at least some of the spindle bolts -so remember to price spindles to see if you are still in budget. In most cases, if you can't find a good used deck- they aren't worth doing.

o
RE: Replace deck on 2004 MTD riding mower.

Thank you for this info. Much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here