Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocmoses

Kohler engine running rough

ocmoses
13 years ago

I have a 1998 Husqvarna YTH 150 tractor with a Kohler Command 15 engine that is giving me fits. The engine and mower had sit idle for about two years when I got it. I drained the old gas out and removed the carburetor and cleaned it good with spray type carb cleaner. In a previous post, I described how the engine would run when I poured gas directly into the throttle body. In accordance with mownie's recommendation, I tested the fuel cutoff solenoid and found that it was defective. After replacing the solenoid ($102.00) the engine will start and will run smooth at idle. When you speed the throttle up, the engine starts running rough and skipping. If you apply about 1/4 choke, it will even out some. This engine has a Nikki carburetor and only has an idle speed adjustment. Can anyone tell me what to do. All of the numbers are as follows:

Tractor:

Husqvarna YTH 150

Serial # 010598C003942

Mfg ID. #954140007E

Product # 954-14-00-07

Engine:

Kohler Command 15

Family � SKH426U1G2RB

Model # CV15S

Spec #41564

Displ (cc) 426

Serial #2735006591

Comments (2)

• rcbe
    13 years ago

most likely you will need to reclean that carb - sounds as if the power circuit is still dirty. make sure you clean out all orifices with thin copper wire and compressed air - us a magnifier to find all holes/ports - some can be small.

• mownie
    13 years ago

Agree with rcbe here. It is even likely that some bit of material may have migrated from the old fuel solenoid during the process of you swapping out the old solenoid for new, and lodged in the main jet or even beyond the main jet.
    Usually, most junk that will pass through the main jet orifice will pass right on out of the carb and into the engine, causing no ill effects in the carb (or in the engine).
    But, if the bit of crud is "long and skinny", it might not make the first turn of the drilled passages in the fuel circuits.
    That is why a good carb cleaning involves probing all the passages with a small stiff wire (with jets removed) as well as dousing and flushing with spray carb cleaner.
    Compressed air blown generously through all the holes and ports is a plus if you have it available.
    Do you still have the old solenoid in your possession?
    I don't remember the full details of you original post where we discussed this, so I don't remember if it was suggested that the plunger be cut off of the old solenoid (for test purposes) or not.
    If not......and you still have the old solenoid......forcibly pull the plunger out of the solenoid with pliers (or cut it off with side cutters) and install the solenoid in the carb. Don't bother connecting the electric wire.....it won't matter for this test.
    Try running the engine at wide open throttle now.
    If the engine continues to act fuel starved....you have something blocking/clogging the main jet fuel circuit (you did remove the main jet when cleaning the carb, right?).
    If, however...........the engine runs like a scalded dog with the old disabled solenoid in place.........there's something wrong with the new solenoid (somehow).
    Post back please.

Sponsored
More Discussions