Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckr74

Stens

ckr74
13 years ago

Anyone ever heard of Stens oil filters? I ordered one and was supposed to be a JD filter but was this brand. Looks exactly the same. I went ahead and used it. Aint blowed up yet!

Comments (28)

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

Stens and Rotary are two of the big aftermarket suppliers for parts for outdoor power equipment. No doubt the filters are made for, rather than by, Stens.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

I use car oil filters on all my LTs, they are about twice as big which alows more oil in the system and they aint blowed up yet either.

• bluemower
    13 years ago

Many of the internet sellers will list the orignal equipment part numbers at a very low price. In the small print, the aftermarket substitute is mentioned. Usually, this the the reason for the great price.

As far as I know, the aftermarket filter is equal to the OEM filter. In many cases, the oem filter and the aftermarket filters are actually made by the same manufacturer.

When the shipping is included, the internet sales are usually more expensive than going to a local small engine dealer. NAPA can usually supply small engine filters at a good price, but they may need a day for delivery.

• ricky65
    13 years ago

I use stens parts on all my equimpment I get dealer prices at a fraction of what the stores charge you. Iuse stens oil filters on my Exmark mowers and have never had any trouble with them even use their blades

• wheelhorse_of_course
    13 years ago

My only complaint about Stens and Rotary is the fact they don't sell direct. Years ago the was a company "Power lawn mower parts" that was a great source of "aftermarket" parts. They were bought up by Foley Belsaw though years later I find most of the Foley parts are made by Stens.

Anyway, the choice is yours, but personally I prefer to save money and use the aftermarket options.

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

* Posted by ricky65 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 5:39

"I use stens parts on all my equimpment I get dealer prices at a fraction of what the stores charge you."
    My connection for Rotary parts had the same deal for me, but then started charging retail. I tried to send you an email without success. Please tell me more about your supplier.

• hardscrabble
    13 years ago

Stens is owned by the Ariens Company. You can go to the Ariens website and it will list their owned companies. Stens is one of them.

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

My Toyota takes the same filter as my Kawasaki in my J,D,. 25 hp and my 14 horse took the same . 4967 Super Tech from big box retailer.

• canguy
    13 years ago

I am fine with external aftermarket parts such as blades, wheels, and throttle cables. I won't use them in carburetors, ignition or similar areas. Too much time spent trouble shooting and replacing inferior components.I get very frustrated sourcing a problem and tearing the the dang thing apart several times only to find the replacement has failed.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    13 years ago

One thing to be aware of is hydro filters. Apparently some people have gotten a lookalike filter that is actually an oil filter. Hydro filters have a finer filter than an oil filter since the nature of hydro and hydraulic systems requires this to protect the system.

• justalurker
    13 years ago

And similar underwhelming performance from look-a-like air filters from third party manufacturers and the great anonymous Chinese filter company.

As infrequently as our little toy tractors require service I've found OEM belts and filters end up being worth the price.

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

I have a Snapper RER mower with a Honda GXV390 engine, the "OEM" filter is around $12,there are 3 or 4 filters that will fit(same thread and seal ring size)I found a wal mart st7317 for $3 that is about 1/2" smaller in diameter which helps an interference problem with wires and cables. The filter is built by Champion labs,the same place where the OEM Honda filters are built.There are a couple of oil filter sites that are very informative on the web.

• justalurker
    13 years ago

Many filter manufacturers OEM for engine manufacturers but TO the specs of the engine manufacturers.

The contracts usually prohibit the filter company from offering the exact same filter under any other brand.

Once you decide to accept any substitute there is no way anyone can know the concessions and compromises you are making other than the obvious size differences. Internal construction, material, and filter media type and layout are only a few important details that set look-a-like apart from the real thing.

There is lots of info on the web about nearly everything and lots of info that is NOT there.

I know what it costs to rebuild a blown Honda engine and have done it more times than I care to remember. I do remember the look on the customers' faces when they got the estimate.

To me, $12 looks pretty good for a once a year oil filter on a L&G tractor... you can't buy pistons and connecting rods for that.

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

Since there are several models of the GXV 390 series and some of them don't have a filter, I highly doubt I'm in danger of blowing my engine. I think timely oil changes and keeping oil level full are at least as important. Do you sell Honda filters?If so what is your profit on one? And the Honda filter on my mower wears against the clutch/brake cable and interlock wires and of course Honda does not list an alternative.

• justalurker
    13 years ago

dc3mech,

I recall a significant number of Honda and other brand engines (not to single Honda out) over the years that have grenaded and when disassembled the cause was restricted oil flow from disintegrated oil filter material. in EVERY instance the oil filter was not an OEM oil filter and the customer paid not the oil filter company.

I support your right to be as penny foolish as you choose with your own stuff but I draw the line at you making questionable recommendations to innocent readers based on limited anecdotal evidence. Your assertion that a $3 generic oil filter is exactly the same as a $12 OEM filter is just plain stupid and I think you know better. If you don't then you are not a mechanic as your handle infers. Those two filters are not the same at least in just the measurements as you noted. You have no idea in what other respects those filters differ.

My recommendations are based on 20+ years experience on small and medium OPE engines and motorcycles engines and automobile engines from 235 Chevy sixes to V12 Jags and seeing trends regarding failure and causes WITH MY OWN EYES.

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

I've been around a while, around 40 years, I have a license issued by the Federal government, that says Mechanic: Airframe and Powerplant with Inspection Authorization.I've also seen WITH MY OWN EYES the inside of oil filters. When an aircraft piston engine is inspected in accordance with a period inspection,if equipped with a screw on oil filter,the filter must be cut open and the filter media unrolled and inspected for ferrous and nonferrous metals.since I already had the tool I also use this method on my cars and equipment.I cut open the Wal mart filter and the Honda filters,and the cheapo looked as good as the OEM I will ask you again,do you sell Honda OEM filters? how much profit do you make? I have worked on Jag V-12"s too made boat anchors out of them and installed small block chevys!

• justalurker
    13 years ago

You mentioned that the OEM filter for your Honda engine hits the cables on the mower. Is your mower a Honda or other brand?

What brand of generic $3 oil filters are you using in aircraft?

"I cut open the Wal mart filter and the Honda filters,and the cheapo looked as good as the OEM" and what formal engineering certification does an A&P hold to know the difference?

No, I do not sell oil filters.

"I have worked on Jag V-12"s too made boat anchors out of them and installed small block Chevys" not me. I can count above 8 and made the V12s purr.

I'll pay the $7.04 for the OEM filter for my JD once a year for many years to come and keep smiling.

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

My mower is a Snapper RER,unfortunately I am required to use an approved oil filter,as well as all other parts on aircraft,but most of them I changed on Continental TGSIO- 520 engines,were made by Champion labs the same mfg. that made the super tech filter I use on my mower,they make the super duper K&N's which except for color are identical to the Champion 110 aircraft filter down to the 1" hex on the bottom and the holes for safety wire.The ST is sold at Wal Mart.The last Jag V-12 owner I helped junk out the engine and go Chevy had paid $800 for a water pump that went out again after a year. It didn't take Ford long to retire the 1920's technology Jag engines after they took over .There's a guy in Dallas who sells kits to change the Jags over, John's Cars, He has made enough money to work on his hobby,restoring private rail cars.You can buy what you want and so can I.

• justalurker
    13 years ago

I have a buddy with a 182RG and I have great respect for A&Ps and they should stick with aviation where their independence in deciding on replacement parts is prohibited.

You claiming that a $3 oil filter at WalMart is identical to an approved and certified aircraft oil filter is laughable. They may look the same to you and if you close your eyes and wish REALLY, REALLY hard you can believe that they are so you can justify saving $11 dollars once a year on an oil filter..

To be clear, I am not debating that there are not excellent quality aftermarket filters. I am saying that a generic is usually a general replacement in a non-aircraft (auto-tractor and such) application and the assumption that a generic filter meets the OEM spec is dreaming because you don't know the internal specs for the OEM filter..

Regarding your bad mouthing the Honda OEM filter for interfering with the wires and cables... that fault is with Snapper, NOT with Honda. Snapper contracted with Honda for the engine as a sub assembly and it is Snapper's responsibility to integrate the engine as a component into the design of the mower. The engine as a component includes no cables and if there is interference it is bad engineering on Snapper's part.

As I said, I'll pay the exorbitant price of $7.04 for an OEM filter instead of $3 for a generic WalMart filter and you do what you like with your own stuff but don't misinform people looking for accurate info and lead them astray because the two filters L@@K the same to you.

You can't bounce a meatball and trying to get you to see the light is a waste of both our time so let's just leave it to the readers to decide on their own.

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

Maybe you should read more carefully.I said the K&N filter made by the same company(Champion Labs) is almost identical to the A/C filter, not the ST from wal mart.I'm reading from the box of the ST(the Honda doesn't come in a box it comes in a 30 pack wrapped in shrink wrap)"Super Tech filters satisfy new car warranties when installed in accordance with instructions and replaced at intervals recommended by vehicle or engine manufactures". What the ST does closely resemble is the Mobil one filter I use in my 08 Chevy truck,(same mfg.)I use a high dollar filter because I run over the factory recommended 7,500 miles,and my last truck ran 259,000 miles and still burned less than 1qt. per 3,000 miles(GM's standard for new vehicles). And I don't use Honda or B&S oil at $8 per Qt. just Mobil SAE 30 at $2,95 at Wal mart ,in my mowers.In my truck Mobil One.

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

Having run a shop for over 30 years and also a MOBIL dealer my oil choice is synthetic I do not buy any other type. My wife had an oil change at the TOYOTA dealer they say 10000 miles I say they are nuts. oil gets dirty. as far as filters a lot of the new stuff is going to the old canister insert. One tech told me in 5 years they will all be this type, new cars ... If I had a exotic car or aircraft whats 20 bucks for a filter ,I would buy what the man. had installed new on it. I agree for a rough service a few bucks more is worth it.

• justalurker
    13 years ago

dc3mech,

Every other word out of your mouth is closely resembles, just like, looked as good, almost identical. Every one of those statements is a synonym for NOT THE SAME. You continue to open your mouth just to change feet.

There is no way that you can intelligently proclaim that any two items are EXACTLY the same without knowing the exact specifications of the original item that you are comparing the facsimile to and you don't know squat regarding the internal specs of OEM filters because that info is not published.

The more you post the more I'm thankful that the FAA prohibits you from arbitrarily deciding what generic part that looks like a certified and approved replacement part you would install on an aircraft because it costs $3 instead of $12.

Next you'll be running down to AutoZone for Garret turbos to install on turbo Cessnas.

And put the oil back in the bottle. No one mentioned word one regarding oil, but while you bring it up... unlike filter specs, manufacturers do publish the technical requirements for approved lubricants so any one can easily see if their intended oil meets the manufacturer's recommendations just by looking at the package (bottle or can).

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

Lurker: Rest easy tonight your government is protecting you from maniacs like me who would use cheaper parts than overpriced ones.I wouldn't have to go to Autozone to get unapproved parts, people are put in jail all the time for selling phony parts as approved.What do you suppose the statement"filter tested according to SAE HS806" on my ST oil filter means?Surely it doesn't mean it meets the same specs that the Honda filter that comes without any marks, even country of origin. The ST is "made in USA". Could the Honda be made in China? who knows.Another note about Fram., the last Fram I cut open had cardboard holding the media together at the bottom,good name brand! sells for more than the ST, If you have money to waste knock yourself out! I will continue to tell the truth!

• justalurker
    13 years ago

We are in agreement on the FRAM.

• mownie
    13 years ago

If we are going to bash Fram, can I borrow that bat for a few minutes? :^)

• justalurker
    13 years ago

Sure can, it is a BIG sombrero.

• dc3mech
    13 years ago

If anyone else has the Honda/Snapper clearance problem the ST 7313 "replaces AC PF2057, Motorcraft FL 821, Fram PH7317,STP6607 or WIX/NAPA 51334" all are higher priced starting with the Fram at $1,50 more, the rest more. Since the Fram number was very similar to the ST I opened the box and looked,it looked nothing like the ST7317.All would probably work OK (except the Fram)I wouldn't use one if they gave it to me.Since I couldn't check the size except the Fram, look close at the diameter before buying.the ST is 2,56" dia. by 3.31" long.

• HU-445387943
    3 years ago

Thank You for Great info you gave me

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms