Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illuminaughty_gw

25hp B&S bent rods after clumsy valve adjustment.

Illuminaughty
11 years ago

Long story short, my mower was having a lot of trouble starting, I learned that adjusting the valves was an easy fix to this problem. I adjusted them once, they made my mower backfire, I adjusted it again, and it ran perfect for a day.

Next day there's was a very slight popping, so I adjusted them a third time, and this is when I bent the rods. After watching the video I had originally watch I understand now how I adjusted the valves wrong, and I feel incredibly stupid.

What I'm wondering now is can I just replace the bent rods and nothing else since it was my clumsy valve adjustment that caused them to bend (I'm assuming anyway) in the first place, or am I in for major $$$ repairs?

So far the mower has always ran good, been hard to start (except after adjusting the valves), and taking the hood/deck/valve covers off are as deep into this thing as I've gotten so far.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm a broke college student and my grass is getting long! I really hope I didn't just cost myself a small fortune trying to learn to fix things on my own. :(

Comments (9)

• Illuminaughty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edited to add, I'm a novice at mechanics.. but I'm trying to learn. Any advice you give me will likely have to be dumbed down, but I'm not afraid to do some research to figure out what a part is.

This mower is the first I've really got my hands dirty with, and I'm just hoping I didn't really screw it up trying to fix it myself. I just don't have the money to take it to a shop.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

First thing I'd do is copy the Model & Type numbers from the engine.
    Then go to the Briggs website and down load the IPL for that engine.
    That'll give you an exploded view and proper part terminology.

• justalurker
    11 years ago

Odds are that along with bending the pushrods you bent a valve or two.

If you did then you're looking at removing cylinder head(s).

That will require a valve spring compressor and a torque wrench along with basic hand tools and the knowledge to seat valves.

• Illuminaughty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this something a novice should attempt, or should I call it quits and just eat a big 'ol repair bill?

If there's guides to doing this I'm not adverse to trying, but I'm starting to feel like I'm in quicksand. I guess I should buy a project mower if I want to learn, not start on my main riding lawnmower, especially since I have ~1.5 acres to mow, and it really sucks mowing that all with a small pushmower.

Is there a way to inspect to see if I bent the valves with a visual inspection, or is this going to require a history of technical knowledge and a micrometer?

• Illuminaughty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bent 1026 and 1026A, if that clears things up any.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exploded parts view for Model 445777 0231 E1 Motor

• Illuminaughty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1026A, or the aluminum push rod for the intake and exhaust on the right side, is what has been bent.

The mower only ran for about 1 minute after the rods must've bent, would this make any difference?

Also I apologize for the multiple posts, but I'm not used to this forum format, and I don't see how to edit my previous posts to add to them instead of making new replies.

• Illuminaughty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm guessing the cylinder hear is what contains these components (valves, lifters, and rods?), and since the two are linked, that's why it's possible that bending one means likely bending the other also?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• EricBarney
    11 years ago

You may have just bent the push rods. They all certainly should be checked.
    A way to tell if the valves are bent, is to remove the push rods, and turn the engine with the spark plugs removed, and your thumb covering the plug hole.
    If you feel suction, or pressure while turning the flywheel, your valves are probably OK. If not, then it is major disassembly time.
    Major engine repair on any level should only be done by someone who knows them well.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

"Odds are that along with bending the pushrods you bent a valve or two."

I doubt that it did anything other than bend the push rods. I can send you a complete PDF Service manual for the engine & The B&S Service Bulletin which is detailed on adjusting the valves of you engine and may vary from the earlier Service Manual. Address below, put in proper format and remind me, model number etc..

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA