Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv2mow

replacing the steering shaft assembly and the sector gear

luv2mow
13 years ago

Hello, I have read that some here have attempted this and have a question that wasn't addressed, or, maybe it was and it got lost in my head because I've read so much on here about this subject. Also, what I read was about 6 months old and about a different model. My mower is a Craftsman 917.270770. I know that the steering shaft assembly and the sector gear need to be replaced. It turns 1 way fine and not very well the other way and it clicks loudly. It had been clicking at the end of last summer and ignored it, thinking it would go away. My questions are: Do I need to remove the mower deck first? Whether or not I remove the mower deck, do I then remove only the retaining ring, slide the pittman shaft assembly out and raise the steering assembly? Any help you can give is appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:320780}}

Comments (4)

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

I done that a couple of years ago. Not and easy job, but not impossible. Yes you will want to remove the deck the hood assy, at minimum. I would first look the steering conponents over very good replace any sloppy parts while you in there. The gear sector and shaft. to get the shaft out you may have to disassemble you dash depending on the model. I would also look for wear on pittman shaft, steering bracket, drag link, and bushing spacer and bolt in the front end again depending on the model weather you got stamped steel or cast iron. there is also plastic bushing at the top of the steering shaft and on the pittman arm bracket that may be worn. Cost me about 80 bucks when I was done. Biggest headache for me was getting the pittman arm to sector splined correctly to get full travel both ways and getting the steering shaft out. Also was a easy job getting the snap ring back on. I can tell you the more you get out of your way the easier it will be which may include the battery and box or gas tank depending on the model or even removing the engine which only takes about 30 mins.

Mine turns real good to the left but not as good to the right. I think the design geometic's causes this cause it alway done that since new. But the slop or free play in very little after I replace all those parts. My LT4000 has a excellent twin vangurad engine or I wouldn't of bothered. Got 700 dollar engine on a 300 dollar LT which I would be lucky to get 200 dollars for, but It's worth more to me to keep it and do other duties than mow.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

you will have to remove the deck to get to the 4 bolts holding the steering bracket on, you can't get the pittman arm out or loosen from the sector gear with it bolted in. I also frogot there is allen head bolt holding the support shaft on (p/n 124035x) also I meant to say it "not" a easy job getting the snap ring back on the pittman assy. on the steering bracket nor is it easy getting the 4 bolts back in not to mention as I did the sector gear to pittman arm alignment. Not a task for the faint of heart that starts projects but don't finish them or minimum mechinical ability or skills.

• faizbatal
    12 years ago

i have a craftsman lawn tractor with model#917272021.i need to replace the steering assembly, it turn to the left fine but makes loud clicking when you turn to the right,is this somthing i should attempt to do my self? it looks like i need to remove alot of components in order to get to this assembly.i have all the tools needed for this ,but is it worth the try or should i leave to service personals?any idea how much would Sears cahrge for this job?plz advise

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Yes, replace the whole assy. If you are comfortable removing the deck, etc- you will do fine. The steering wheel comes off, unscrew the upper support bushing. Sometimes unbolting the battery plate is necessary.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm