Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bckskin2

JD X500 turing left

bckskin2
12 years ago

for some reason our JD X500 won't turn as sharp left as it does right. what could cause this? How do I fix it?

Jerry

Comments (13)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

When it was assembled at the factory, they might of got the steering shaft down into a "Tooth-off" position in the sector gear of the steering unit. Maybe the guy who assembled it at the factory had a bad night-worrying about the bad weather---

• mownie
    12 years ago

Only if there is a "sealed steering gearbox" type steering system will the above "one tooth off" scenario apply.
    Steering systems that use "open gears" (sector gear and pinion gear) are not affected by the "out of time" gears possibility. On open gear systems (your typical LG or GT) the pinion gear has no "limiting stop" feature and if the pinion gear is unmeshed from the sector gear, you can spin the steering wheel in either direction until you wear yourself out......that is why these types of steering gears are immune to the "one tooth out" problem.
    Now, if you are encountering some slipping or jerking of the steering wheel, accompanied by some thuds or click sounds when you turn the steering hard to the left, you have wear in the sector gear bearing and likely the pinion gear bearing too.
    These open gear systems tend to allow the pinion gear to jump over the last couple of teeth on the sector gear when turning in one direction if the bearings/bushings wear out because turns in that direction cause the sector gear to be pulled away from the pinion gear.
    Turning in the opposite direction it is harder for the pinion gear to get enough "slack" to jump over a tooth because the sector gear is moved toward the pinion gear by the reaction forces of steering.

• User
    12 years ago

The X500 uses an open sector and pinion so Mownie is correct that it can't be one tooth off.

The steering links are adjustable so they can be unevenly adjusted and IIRC there are two holes on the spindle they can bolt to and one may be in the wrong hole.

If the steering links are adjusted properly so the wheels point straight ahead with just a touch of toe-in then the thing to check are the steering stops on both spindles to make sure they are not bent.

It's snowing here and I can't get to the shed but I'll look tomorrow to see if there are two holes in the spindle and if my X500 is even from stop to stop..

• mownie
    12 years ago

SNOWING!!! Dang jal, ain't you heard "spring has sprung"?
    It's uno de Mayo..........it can't be snowing! :^)

• User
    12 years ago

Been snowin' all day... all you gotta do is take the blower off the tractor and it snows a couple days later.

• wheely_boy
    12 years ago

I thought political posts were not allowed on this forum..

• bckskin2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's less than a year old so probably not wear. It's in the same hole on both sides. I may have the dealer tak a look at it.
    Jerry

• User
    12 years ago

There are two holes in the spindles that the steering links could go in. The holes to the REAR are the holes that the steering links should go in.

My 2010 X500 turns the same steering lock to steering lock. I did adjust the toe-in when new because it was not correct when delivered.

Since your X500 is under warranty the dealer will correct the problem unless you hit a rut and bent one of the steering stops and you'd pay for that repair.

• bckskin2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

girl at the dealer says it needed a pin & clip they had to order. should be in by today.

• mownie
    12 years ago

***"a pin & clip"***
    Pretty ambiguous answer.......almost sounds like a service provided by my wife's hairdresser :^)

• User
    12 years ago

Hey, let's give the dealer a chance...

• bckskin2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lift rod pin & clip. $5.75. turns both ways & easier to raise the lift pedal

• mownie
    12 years ago

Good answer! You killed 2 birds with one stone.