Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toyeboy

cub cadet rzt 50' ztr, kawasaki v-twin

toyeboy
17 years ago

I just purchased this ZTR for $2999 from Home Depot two days ago, it's got a 22 hp Kawasaki V-twin motor and a 50"cut mower deck. I have 2 hours on it so far and it's really nice, I ecspecially like the motor, and the zero turn is night and day difference vs. my old tractor. So could any of you give me a heads up of any known issues with these ZTR's or recommendations? I know it's not top of the line but it's way better than any mower I've ever had plus decently priced. I'll be using it to mow 6 acres on my yard. The only thing I don't like so far is it rides really bouncy in some areas and it feels a bit small for me b/c I'm 6 ft 3...but I think I'll manage.

Comments (13)

• cobhonfor
    17 years ago

I bought a Z-Force 50 last spring, and it has been flawless, and has 90 hours on it as of yesterday. I mow about 2 acres with it, and it takes about 1 hour 30 minutes to complete. With your 6 acres, you will have some serious seat time.

The 22 HP Kawasaki is a great engine, certainly no concerns there. Mine is bouncy also, so I lowered the air pressure in the tires to about 1/2 recommended, and it helped a bit.

Enjoy your new ride, apparently you will appreciate the upgrade as much as I have. Neat mowers, makes mowing the lawn fun again.

• toyeboy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lowering the air pressure sounds like a good idea...My back is quite sore right now from riding it, I also had to adjust the levers closer to me b/c I was having to lean to far forward..but I think once I get used to the machine I'll learn what's good for my back & I'll make nessecary adjustments. I honestly think it's a bargan at $3k considering how much more the comerical grade ZTR's are. Zero degree turing is just plain awesome vs. a tractor!

By the way how is your deck holding up after 93hrs? The deck seems to bounce a lot when going full speed in the bumpier areas on my yard.

• cobhonfor
    17 years ago

I should post a few pictures of my yard, as it has never looked better after mowing. Deck looks brand new, no obvious signs of wear and tear. I have used the deck wash only a few times, as something about water and mower decks seems bad.

I learned sometime last year, that it was not necessary to mow at full speed at all times, and now adjust my ground speed to the situation.

Last week my new neighbor, was trying to mow his former pasture, which was converted to yard a few years previous, with his Simplicity Prestige? A nice 17 HP tractor he bought last year for his former house, with a 1 acre yard. The grass had not been cut since early last fall, and was REALLY high. He choked his mower, so I went and got the Z-Force, and mowed it for him, it was an impressive effort from the CC. Used all 23 HP for sure. My neighbor now has 3 acres to mow, and realizes he needs to upgrade his mower.

• glero
    17 years ago

I didn't know Simplicity made a 17HP Prestige as you state in your post. The recent Prestige models I am familiar with all have 25 or 27 HP Kohler Command engines. Can you introduce your neighbor to this web posting so he can discuss with us, as you say "he realizes he needs to upgrade his mower". The Prestige models start at around $6,300 and go up to around $8,400. There may be some other reason that he "choked" his mower. Let's look into it, OK?

• glero
    17 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot, what would you recommend to your "choked" neighbor as an "upgrade" to his $6,300 to $8,400 Prestige? Just curious.

• cobhonfor
    17 years ago

glero, chill out man, you are having a coronary on a misprint. Did you notice "Simplicity Prestige?" ??

The ? mark was account I was'nt sure of the name, but you can now rest, as I went over and looked at his machine today, it is an Express (note: no ? this time) And yes, his Simplicity did choke the other day, as any other brand machine in the same catagery would have.

• glero
    17 years ago

I'm LOL. Just had a very thorough and complete cardiovascular test, diagnostic, and examination. Unbeleivably strong cardiovascular and pulmonary systems.
    Interesting that you called it a Prestige and had that particular model name in mind. Nonetheless, now we know that your neighbor has a 38" 17HP base tractor to cut his acreage. You have a 50" 22HP one model above base residential CC zero-turn rider. Your comparison is better understood. Both have their purpose. I am not concerned about any brand or manufacturer. Each stive to produce good products for the various range of task that homeowners and LCOs attempt to accomplish daily.
    What do you think I read in your post? Perhaps gloating? The simplest questions implicitly or explicitly request information from a certain range (finite or infinite) of alternatives. When information purporting to be that requested is presented back to the questioner, the question is said to be answered. The information thus presented is called an answer. Answers may be right or wrong. They are wrong if they present false information. If they present information from outside the profferred alternatives, they may be called wrong or simply inappropriate or irrelevant. This depends on the context, as do several other possibilities: Sometimes "I don't know" is an acceptable answer, sometimes even a right answer. The same is true of "None of the above" and "There is no answer." An answer is the, or a, right answer, if it presents true information which falls within the determined range of alternatives. Questions of this simplest sort usually begin with Who, what, which, where, when, does/do, is/are.
    Other questions do not so easily fit this mold. For example, questions beginning "Why" and "How" often request any information at all that will alleviate certain confusion in a person who wants to ask that question. Here the manner in which the information is presented might be more important than which information is presented; the questioner may even already know all of the information contained in the right answer, and merely needs it to be expressed in a more useful form. You question form was not very useful in expressing your lack of knowledge of that particular tractor. Otherwise, you were asking yourself. Please lighten up a bit on your neighbor and cut his grass as much as you want. Good luck with your mower. Thanks?

• toyeboy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

To get back on topic here....Does anyone else have any experience with the CC RZT 50?

• macguy
    17 years ago

I had one . . . for 2 days and 1 mowing. The lack of a suspension means your body will take a pounding. Mine sure did. I also could never get the sticks adjusted enough to stop hitting the tops of my knees (I'm 6'4"). I also suspect the blade tip speed is on the low side which is silly given the Kaw engine. Ended up taking it back and bought a Toro Z5000. Definitely a downgrade in engine (23HP V-Twin Kaw versus 21HP Single cylinder Kohler) but the Toro is better in every other respect IMO. Blade tip speed seems higher, rides MUCH better, plenty of stick clearance, faster forward speed and it mows in reverse. For $200 less.

• metal
    17 years ago

It is a residential ZTR and is great for that application (nice flat lawns). The engine is definitely the part that sticks out on this mower, one would expect less. There is a considerable step up from this mower to the Z-Force, i.e. better transmission, steel bearings, adjustable gel suspension seat, stripe rollers in rear, $1,000 more, etc.

• essexredneck04_comcast_net
    16 years ago

i bought my cub last season... i cut about 15-17 lawns a week last year now i'm cutting 35-40 a week tho i dont use it on every yard i just hit a thousand hours and only one belt issue after about 500 hours... and i just snapped a spindle two days ago but i use a residential mower commercially so i can't complain.....i rolls right through i cut 8 acres in about 2.5 hours....

• reed_nick_att_net
    13 years ago

Looking for hitch bracket for cc zrt50. Does anyone make them?

• dhsrbs01_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Can anyone recommend an easy way to lower the cutting height abit more, I am not accustomed to cutting my yard 1.5 inches high?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz