Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Toro Wheelhorse 16-38HXL Tractor with Engine Issues

ntl1991
11 years ago

Hello,

I recently received a nice Toro Wheelhorse 16-38HXL hydrostatic lawn tractor from a friend. They bought it new and cared for it, but the engine gave up on them. They said the last noise it made was a bang, and it died and started smoking. It wouldn't start back up. They bought a John Deer to replace it.

I got it in, and took a look at it. The frame, body and deck are in excellent shape.The flywheel on the engine can be turned 1/4 of the way, until it stops, makes a loud metallic knocking noise. The flywheel can be turned back. I tried putting a breaker bar to see if I could free it, but I couldn't. I'm thinking the engine broke a rod?

Either way, what are my options for engine replacement? It's got a 16 HP Briggs and Stratton OHV Intek engine, labeled "Toro Power Plus", model series 286H00. I'd like to revive the mower and use it to replace my aging "Wizard" lawn tractor. Will any other 16-18HP Briggs Intek Vertical shaft fit this mower, or do I have to worry about shaft sizes and pattens?

Thanks,
Nick

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH