Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larso1

New Craftsman MTS 5500 yard tractor

larso1
17 years ago

Just saw this model at Sears today. "MTS" stands for "Monster Tractor Series." LOL! I know it sounds pretty hokey, but this model does appear to have all the right options on it. Red in color, 26-HP twin Briggs (LOL again! That's twice the HP of my current tractor), foot controlled hydrostat (don't know which model), larger rear wheels, and the heavy gauge 48-in. deck. Doesn't look too bad for the $2,080.00 price.

Bill

Comments (19)

• glero
    17 years ago

It's a Husqvarna. You're right, the name does sound sound a bit hokey. But it's rather inexpensive compared to others brands of equal size and capabilities in the residential line of lawn tractors. I'm not sure about it's longevity since it a residential, not commercial. But if I had to choose something in that price range I would believe I would be getting my moneys worth compared to some other brands. The Sears retail chain is Husqvarna's largest customer of consumer products. The same tractor last year was a few dollars more. It was called the FS5500 (Fairway Series).
    It may be a good residential (homeowner use) mower. I included a link that list it's specs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monster Lawn Tractor specs

• unclestu
    17 years ago

I almost bought that exact model. glero is right, it replaces the Fairway series from last year, & is Sears current "top-of-the-line non-garden" model. Yup, the "Monster" name does seem kinda silly. After doing a little research, I found that the clearance-priced FS5500 had everything the "Monster" did, *except* 1. MTS has B&S 26 hp Extended Life Series(ELS) engine, FS has B&S 24 hp Intek engine. 2. Different hoods

The ELS engine has a different air filter setup than the Intek, but other than that they seem very similar. IMO the big thing is the cast iron cyl sleeve, & they both have that. For the big step up in a B&S engine, you have to go to the Vanguard- that really is a superior engine, not offered in either of these models.

Also note- some of the FS5500's use the HydroGear trans, while others(mine, for instance ;^)) have the TuffTorq trans. Look at the sticker under the seat to be sure. I believe all the new MTS will have the TuffTorq hydro trans- the ones I saw up close certainly did.

When I finally pulled the trigger almost 3 wks ago, the prices were: $2100 for the MTS, w/no 10% discount, or $1900 for the FS, plus a 10% discount(friends & family sale, now over). So I bought the FS5500 with TuffTorq trans. The Fairway is still available on clearance(when they're gone, they're gone) for $1900 w/48" deck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Fairway FS5500

• texoma_wrangler
    16 years ago

Unclestu, Check under the seat to see which TuffTorque model tranny is in your 5500. There should be a lable indicating TuffTorque model K46..K57...or K62, which I doubt.
    Check your rear wheel size also......should be 22" just like the MTS 5500. Curious to know which model tranny is being used for this 5500 tractor. Thanks, Texoma

• ejnichol
    16 years ago

The current MTS 5500 parts list shows it has a tuff torq K46.

• texoma_wrangler
    16 years ago

Thanks ejnichol for you response. That clears up the tranny question. Looks like to get the next upgrade K57/K58 TuffTorq....the Craftsman top of the line 6500 GT series is the model to look at.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

A reviewer from the above link indicates that the MTS 5500 does have a TT K46.

"I have a yard that has a fairly constant 10 percent slope. This tractor cannot make half its flat-ground speed going up hill. Plenty of horsepower, but excessive transaxle slippage in the Tuff Torq 46 hydrostatic axle.

After pulling a 42 inch lawn sweeper for roughly one hour the tractor would not back-up due to trans slippage - which I assume was due to the thinning of the 10W-30 engine oil used in the axle. After the tractor sits for an hour or so it goes again."

-Deerslayer

• ctpuritan
    16 years ago

texoma_wrangler : The sears 6500 series has a K66 tranny in it.

• onguard
    16 years ago

Not all of the 6500 series have the K66 some have the hydrogear 3000. You have to look under the seat for the sticker or check the parts listing online.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

So in other the $2,000 Sears, Roebuck track has the same transmission as the $3,000 John Deere tractor. And the $2,500 Sears has a stronger transmission than the $3,500 Deere.

• ejnichol
    16 years ago

Also the frame rail on the JD has a bottom to it where as the Sears have an open bottom, except for the sears 28750.

Also the frame rails on the JD are about 3/4 - 1" wider than on Sears.

Also the frame is thicker on the Sears though.

I'd likely go with the sears just because you get a stouter tranmision, but other may disagree. A good JD dealer could sway me.

The motors are basically the same from what I could figure out.

I think I got too detailed in my analysis of which to buy.

• wally2q
    16 years ago

"I have a yard that has a fairly constant 10 percent slope. This tractor cannot make half its flat-ground speed going up hill. Plenty of horsepower, but excessive transaxle slippage in the Tuff Torq 46 hydrostatic axle.

After pulling a 42 inch lawn sweeper for roughly one hour the tractor would not back-up due to trans slippage - which I assume was due to the thinning of the 10W-30 engine oil used in the axle. After the tractor sits for an hour or so it goes again."

Sounds like whomever has this tractor got a "bad" k46 tranny. I would have exchanged it under warranty.
    10% grade is 5.7 degrees. The slope in my back yard is more like 20%, and I not only maintain speed riding up it.... with the plug-aerator engaged, with 200 lbs on it to boot, I get up the hill - slower but not dead slow. And I can aerate for 2 hours and there is no sign of slow-down. Pulling the sweeper for an hour is basically zero stress in relative terms.

Having said that, with sears using K46's, the have eliminated a big discriminator between these brands. Good for them (Sears that is).

• texoma_wrangler
    16 years ago

Onguard....I just checked the on-line Sears parts list of the DSG 6500 model# 28750 and the current installed Tuff Torq tranny is the K66. Maybe the Hydro Gear 3000 was installed on last years' model or there was an assembly line change over early in the 07 model year. Probably wanted to use all the Hydo gear 3000 before the switch over to the K66.

Here are the facts...

Capable Of Using Ground Engaging Attachments
    Powerful 26 hp B/S ELS (Extended Life Series) V-Twin Engine
    Exclusive 54" Precision Cut Plus Deck System W/ 4 Adj. Gauge Wheels
    Spring Loaded Deck Lift System
    K66 Hydrostatic / Automatic Transmission
    Foot Pedal Drive For Added Convenience
    Large 23" Rear Tires
    Air Filter Type Dual
    Cooling Fan Yes
    Cooling System Type Fan-cooled
    Cylinder Liner Cast iron
    Cylinders No. 2
    Electronic Ignition Yes
    Lubrication System Full pressure
    Overhead Valves Yes
    Oil Filter Yes
    Deck Thickness 10 ga.
    Axle Material Cast iron
    Frame Material 11 ga. formed steel
    Frame Type Channel

Any questions? Not bad for $2579.99 plus 5% discount if you use your Sear's charge card ! Texoma

• onguard
    16 years ago

Just checked all the dgs6500 online.

28745 P820-040 peerless manual
    28746 347-3000 hydrogear
    28748 K66 tufftorq, the one I have
    28749 P820-040 peerless manual
    28750 K66 tufftorq

I did see the 28746 earlier this year on the floor at sears and it did have the hydrogear in it.

• bobav4
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me the torque on the k46? I would like to know if I can pull my pontoon around my concrete (level)drive for easier vehicle hookup. I don't know if the tranny case can take the stress.

THANK YOU,
    BOB.

• tuco
    16 years ago

The website (www.tufftorq.com) lists the rated torque at 171 ft. lbs. for 20" tires and 131 ft. lbs. for 18" tires.

• Charlie Campbell
    7 years ago

Picked up a 5500 yesterday at the local Sears..it had never been started... brought it home.. hooked the battery up after a charge, filled the tank, checked the oil, etc.... but am not getting any response from the tractor electronically.. no lights at all.. any ideas? do they unhook something for transport to the store? I referred to manual, but it hasn't helped me. any ideas?

• rexlex
    7 years ago

if you did all what the manual said to do for initial setup/startup, time to get sears involved.

• HU-353785472
    3 years ago

Love the Monster name. 14 years of mowing on rough ground and hills. Only 1 belt changed. I your tractor isn't climbing hills chances are it's your belt. Not your transmission. If you can find it BUY IT!

• HU-795480676
    2 years ago

Just bought one- with a 24hp intek and a k46 with the axle snapped off. $200. Repaired the K46, shot ether in the filter and it’s a runner. Wahoo....