Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_1_gw

Mower v-belt for older craftsman tractor

ken-1
14 years ago

I have an older craftsman tractor-Model #917.257120 with a 42" deck-Model #917.253820. I am looking to find a v-belt to drive the mower deck. The deck has only 1 pulley in the center and 2 pulleys on the front of the tractor and then 1 pully on the engine, I have checked out Sears parts direct and for my model #'s they show a deck with 3 pulleys on it and the only belt they show it a 36" belt, The measurment around all pulleys is 98 1/2" with foot pedal disengaged and 101 1/2" with pedal engaged. Has anyone run across this situation? I called Sears and talked to a parts "expert" and ordered a belt which he said would fit,he couldn't tell me the size of it so I ordered it and it was too short 84", going to send it back. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Ken

Comments (12)

• wheelhorse_of_course
    13 years ago

Do you still have the original belt? If so, take that to a hardware store and have them measure it. Then buy the $5 fractional HP belt from the Hardware store and see if it fits.

If so order a proper aramid OPE belt from somewhere like www.mfgsupply.com.

The Hardware store belt won't last particularly long, but for $5 you get to confirm your size and it should keep you going until the other belt wears out.

Best of luck.

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

According to my records, your machine uses the same belt for 1) Engine to Deck; 2) Engine to Drive; and 3)Cross Deck.

Gates part number is 106085X and is 1/2 x 79.

However, I also come up with Sear p/n STD325810, length unknown.

• ken-1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the follow up. The original belt was in chewed up pieces and was thrown away. And I did order the STD325810 but was too short - 86". Ill try the hardware store. Belt has to be about 100". Thanks again for info.

• blazerk5
    13 years ago

Are you sure you don't need two seperate belts? My Sears GT18 model #917.255910 has a belt (36" long) on the mower to drive the three blades from the center pulley. The mower deck spindles are covered by a metal shroud..only the center pulley is exposed. Another seperate belt goes from the exposed center pulley to the engine PTO. My center pulley has two spindles, one to drive the blades via a belt under the shroud; and another to accept the PTO from the engine to power the mower. Look at the Sears parts diagram for my model number and it'll show what I'm talking about.

• mownie
    13 years ago

I have to agree with blazerk. You gave the deck model as 917.253820 and looking at the IPL online, that is a "shur nuff 2 beltdeck" drive with 3 pulleys on the deck. Are you the original owner of the tractor? I would like to see some pics of the deck if possible.
    I have no trouble with the concept of a single serpentine blet configuration, my old Huskee 4218 uses that, with a blet (I know how to spell, this is to confound the new "key word advertising" Garden Web has begun to use, misspell the word and it will not be turned into an ad link) 108" X 1/2", so I don't doubt the length you are coming up with, the problem here is that everything we see from the posted numbers shows a 2 belt system. So with that in mind, either somebody has put a different model deck on it (where did you see the deck model number?) or Sears parts system is in worse shape than I previously thought.

• ken-1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This tracator belongs to a, non mechanical friend of mine. I own a John Deere 345 with a 2belt system 1 on the deck to drive the 3 blades and another to drive the deck. This craftsman has only one pulley on the deck, a two pulley bracket out front that moves in and out with a foot pedal to engage and disengage the blades and one pulley on the engine to drive everything. The model # is riveted to the left side of the deck. It is probably a mistake on Sears part. Also this friend of mine got this tractor from somebody who no longer lives here. All I know is with pedal disengaged and measuring with a string it measures 98.5" and with pedal pushed all the way down it measures 101.5". Maybe I'll have to experiment with maybe a belt in between these sizes.

• LED5150_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have an older Sears Craftsman ride mower from the early 1990's Model #917254630 (12HP/38" cut) Can someone tell me what belt # I would need,its for the deck/blades. I've bought 2 so far & both are the wrong size.
    Thanks!
    Greg

• mownie
    12 years ago

Well, a quick pop over to Sears Direct shows the belt part # to be 10608X (at Sears) and the dimensions of the belt as:
    17/32" wide X 79-1/10" long. Best of luck to you

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Should that be a 106085x belt?

• mownie
    12 years ago

Yes, tomplum is corect. I mstyped once again, or else this darn wireles key bard is skiping kes agin. :^)
    106085X is the Sears numer.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Mownie: seems to me yer haid aren't on straate today. Dunt wurry--it heppens to ull of usn's! RJ

• mownie
    12 years ago

Mah haid ain't bin strate fer sum time now. hav uh goodern.