Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krnuttle

Cleaning the fins

krnuttle
10 years ago

Some time ago some one recommended that the next time I sevice the tractor, I take the shroud off and clean the fins on my JD LT-155.

I did this today, after a lot of hesitation. While the JD is about 14 years old it was not as dirty as I was expecting. I inherited the tractor and know it has not been cleaned in the last 12 years since I got the tractor.

Getting the shroud off was easier than expected though I could not get the part at the front of the engine (spark plug end) completely off. But even so it was enough to get at the dirt

Thank you for the suggestion. (I don't remember who suggested it as it has been several month since I got the suggestion. )

Comments (6)

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

NOTE: To avoid the building of mice nests, and wire chewing, of the wires and areas under the engine tin shrouding--lay some of yer wife's clothes dryer sheets around the engine, and mice and other critters will go some place else to make their nests. Works fer me! Rusty J.

• krnuttle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There was no evidence of mice activity. The "dirt" was caked dust. and oily dust.

I will remember the suggestion.

• mownie
    10 years ago

An old sock 1/4 filled with some moth balls or moth crystals, tied in a knot, and draped on the engine or tied to it will also keep mice (and moths) away.
    A cat is also pretty effective.

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Googeling Finnish baths got me nowhere....

• mownie
    10 years ago

Wrong Finns Tom :^)

• james_garfield
    10 years ago

I invested in a little 6-gallon, 120psi air compressor. With this I can pump up the tires as needed, and clean off dirt and debris from the mower after using it. Get the longer air nozzle, and you can force a stream of air 'backwards' into the cooling fins after using the mower, which back flushes almost all dirt and debris. Then direct the air into the screen up on top and you can blow out most all the dirt and debris from there too. I have a pasture which often has dry dusty grass, which makes cleaning the fins necessary. I've found using the shop air like this makes the job very fast and easy.

Another area very easy to clean with shop air is the space around the belts and deck pulleys, between the deck and the chassis. Blow that area out after each mower use, and it helps keep the belts and pulleys running cooler.

I know this is drifting a little off topic, but my pasture has a mixture of wet succulent grass, and dry dusty areas. This combination tends to create a buildup of debris under the mower deck, which can harden into an almost adobe-like material that reduces the airflow under the deck, and also can grind the air lift 'wings' off the blades. Lots of folks here have posted about how to keep the underside of the mower deck clean, and the little shop air compressor works here too.

I use a little Cambell and Housefield air chisel, and fitted it with an automobile door trim tool (in the picture below). Feed it with low pressure air (about 40psi), and this little air chisel will softly 'buzz' the plastic blade, such that you can run it along under the deck and all the debris comes off very fast and easy. It's safe because she soft plastic blade won't bite the deck steel.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County