Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4750burt

Considering JD purchase

burt4750
11 years ago

I have been looking at the John Deere D105 and D110 and understand the only difference is the D110 has a hydrostatic transmission (which I know nothing about!!).
I am purchasing a new riding lawn mower - not to mow with - but to pull a trailer and haul my mulch (10 CY) around the yard as well as other garden chores. Can someone tell me whether the D105 (17.5 HP) can do the wagon/mulch thing without bogging down. My lawn is on an incline (probably 20%) from front to back and covers approx. 1 to 1.5 acres. The mowing feature may come in handy in the future but hubby uses a Lexmark commercial walk behind and is perfectly content with that.

I've also looked at the Ariens, so if anyone has an opinion on those mowers, please chime in!

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• User
    11 years ago

Repeatedly hauling a loaded trailer up a 20% incline is a lot to ask of any lawn tractor and both the JD and Ariens you named are LAWN tractors.

What you need is a garden tractor and they are a lot pricier.

If you're determined to try a lawn tractor then buy either the JD D105 or D110 from an authorized JD dealer, not HD or Lowes. JD has a policy called the JD Promise that offers a total refund within 30 days... no questions asked but only through an authorized JD dealer.

Once you've realized that a lawn tractor is too light weight for your needs then look around for a clean used garden tractor.

• wheely_boy
    11 years ago

I would suggest the D105. Your situation sounds like death to a low end hydro.

Sponsored