Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs and Stratton 14.5 H.P. shearing flywheel key

Posted by factorypilot (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 20:10

My mothers Briggs engine wouldn't start for her so looking it over I found the starter gear to be missing teeth. I replaced the ring gear and this is where the problem started.
I installed the flywheel but forgot my torque wrench so I used a chunk of 2x4 and hoped to seat the flywheel on the taper of the crank. I tightened the bolt down as much as I could with a 1/2 in. socket wrench. I know maybe not the smartest thing I've done but she lives an hour away.
Trying to start the engine it fired and then off again on again random fire. Pulled the flywheel back off and key sheared. New key and tightened as much as I thought felt right and tried starting again. It ran breifly and backfired. Pulled flywheel again, and again key sheared.
Looking at other posts I have an idea that the flywheel isn't tightened down tight enough. As far as I know the engine was running ok when she used it last. Is there any other issue that would cause timing to be off without the engine being taken apart. The brief time it did run it sounded fine.
Also what is the torque spec of the flywheel bolt and air gap on the mag. I have good spark at .006 in. Engine is a model 287707 and type is 0224-01

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs and Stratton 14.5 H.P. shearing flywheel key

Flywheel tightens to 65 Ft. Lbs. .008" to .012" on air gap.

Walt Conner

o

Walt,any thoughts on the above condition that would be shearing the flywheel keys?

o

"1/2 in. socket wrench" ??? (long enough to get good leverage??) 65 foot pounds is quite abit. Get a cheater bar or move up to 1/2" breaker bar if you don't have access to a torque wrench. If it spins over good with the starter IMO you arn't getting the flywheel bolt tight enough. You may have to hold the crank from the pulley bolt while cranking on the flywheel nut.

o

"Walt,any thoughts on the above condition that would be shearing the flywheel keys?"

Improper torque setting.

Walt Conner

o

Thanks guys, I had already returned home when I started this post so next trip to work on it I will have my torque wrench. I should have been more clear, I was using a 1/2 inch drive socket wrench. Will let you know of the outcome.

o

I found the saame problem recently with a B&S engine on a Sears tractor. It had sheared the fly key, so, when i took it apart--there was the problem!! Somebody else had evidently lost the Delville washer, and just put in a flat washer, which didn't do much except allow the flywheel to loosen and shear the key!

o

that brings up a good question, is the washer concave and which side is up? I hope to get back to her house this weekend and finish this project up.

o

Bellville washer...place it so the concave side (dish) faces the flywheel and the convex side(dome) faces the nut.

o

Mownie: for years, i have been calling that domed washer a "Belleville". I recently hd to go to the mower shop to buy a new one. They call it a "Delleville"!
By any other name, its still a domed locking device, used in place of a regular lock washer.
I would suppose that it has several ways of spelling and naming it, in different parts of the land. HMMM??

o

rustj, I have never seen/heard them referred to as Delville (and I thought you just inadvertently had hit the "D" key instead of "B"). I did a search for "Delville washer" (using various spellings) and was never directed to anything regarding "conical tension" devices. The name Delville came up often but never in the context of fasteners. Using "Belleville washers", however, will get you a bunch of "hits" in the subject of fasters. I include a link to just one site. As to the term "Delleville washer" at your mower shop, it would not be the first case of "misunderstanding a spoken word" (their hearing, not yours) or even a "typo" being repeated down the line until it seems to become something it is not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh Bellevedere, come heah boy.

o

Want to say thanks for the replies on this subject. I torqued the the crank bolt and realized I was nowhere near 65 ft. lbs. by trying to guess by feel. It Runs fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here