Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fdbc

John Deer X304 Tractor or Cub ZTT 46

fdbc
16 years ago

4 wheel steering tractor $3500 or Zero turn tractor $3000? I only have I acre but it is up and down with plenty of trees. Which would you buy and why??

Jeff

Comments (16)

• engine_tech
    16 years ago

4WS is superior on hills and is excellent at trimming around trees. 4WS give you a very small "uncut circle" A ZTR excels mainly on flat areas or where making a spin turn at the end of a pass can cut time. Your conditions don't sound like. Plus, a ZTR is a one trick pony as there are no attachments for them.

Be ready, this thread will likey end up like a Ford/Chevy arguement. :-)

• fdbc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If one brand was always superior (Features, reliability and price), only one brand would survive.

It is tuff with so many choices. My last Cub lasted 12 years during those years I was always asking my self "Should I have got a Deere?" This time I plan to take my time deciding and seek out advice using the net that I DID NOT HAVE 12 YEARS AGO.

Jeff

• luv2byte
    16 years ago

I have 2.5 acres & many trees to mow around. In our back 1/2 acre I have always hated to mow it becuase of the trees- some are only 5ft apart, steep slopes, and the farthest back corner we always get stuck when trying to make it around the corner, the tree and mow all the grass at the same time so we have to go back and forth alot to get around everything. I mowed with the x304 for the first time yesterday - man it was a dream. I didn't mind mowing the back 1/2 acre at all, I zipped around the trees and hills without any effort, it was amazing - also, the x304 is a blast to drive.

• fdbc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the report on the X304 I know very little about the Cub ZTT 46.

Jeff

• scunningham
    16 years ago

I bought a JD 304 last October and have been very happy so far. I have about 1 acre to mow and you can zip around trees pretty easily. I have a bagger and the mulching plug and blades . The mulching blade did a great job on my leaves. The bagger works great also. My only complaint is the bagger Shute is hard to attach to the deck. If you do it right, it pops right on. I probably need a little more practice with it. All the maintenance items are laid out nicely and are pretty easy to do. I am not overly mechanically inclined but can do the basics. I also use a lawn roller and a plug aerator with no problems.
    I have no experience with Cub Cadet, maybe someone else can help you out with them.

Scott

• fdbc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Scott

I was curious as to how the X304 would do while towing, it sounds like the 4W steer is not a problem.

Jeff

• retired2001
    16 years ago

response to engine_tech
    Just for clarification, the ZTT42, 46 and 50 by Cub Cadet are all zero turn radius tractors controlled by a steering wheel. They do accept several accessories including twin bagger, snow plow, tow behinds (sweeper, cart, broadcast spreader, dethatcher, plug aerator, sprayer and lawn roller), and snow thrower. They were just introduced last year.

• retired2001
    16 years ago

I am seriously considering buying the ZTT46 and rode it today at the dealer's lot. It was like riding a stable garden tractor until you reach the end of the row and turn the wheels to 90 degrees and spin around and end up exactly ready for the next lane of mowing! The wheel track is a few inches wider than the usual with the front wheels spaced as far apart as the rear ones. It felt very stable whether going up, down, or across the hillside.
    What I'm concerned about is whether anyone has ideas about the reliability of this new concept of having dual transmissions and synchronizing the speed of the rear wheels with how much the steering wheel is turned? They also used belt drive instead of shaft -- is that really so important? Many thanks for your comments

• mrb_mmb
    15 years ago

Retired2001 -- did ypu make a purchase? I am considering the same 2 units.

• johntommybob
    15 years ago

If it were me I'd have no problem getting the Deere. It cost more because you get more. Every little part is designed a little bit better, plus you'll feel good about what you bought every time you get on it, and as the the commercial says, that's priceless.

• w3nzl
    15 years ago

Between the 2 Ur considering, I'd go with the Deere every
    time, the 304-324s R pretty nice garden tractors... I
    demo-ed a 324 and was mightily impressed with it... Now if
    it were to be used just as a mower, and the comparison were
    with a quality ZTR, Exmark, Hustler, Scag, etc. for instance,
    my choice would be the ZTR everytime, but they cost a bunch
    more than $3500...

• lightngsvt
    15 years ago

I wouldnt be concerned about the belt drive, I wouldnt let it influence your decision.

• artienj
    15 years ago

(Posted on fatwallet) Just in case a price change makes a difference to you.

Cub Cadet 20HP 46" cut Zero turn riding mower. This item normally sells for $2999, but is priced $1599

SKU 955-112

I saw this at the HD clearance center located in Austell Ga, a one of a kind HD store. Based on my experience, if a local store has this item, it will not be the same, but worth a check.

Can be seen at the Cub Cadet site here

Specs from Cub Cadet
    * 20 HP* Kohler® Courage® Twin Cylinder OHV Engine
    * Fully Pressurized Automotive-Style Oil Pump w/Spin-on Oil Filter
    * Dual Hydro-Gear EZT Transmission
    * 46" QuickAttach Deck
    * Patented Smart Jet High-Pressure Deck Washing System
    * Exclusive RevTEKÂ Reverse Mowing Technology allows moving in forward or reverse until the operator leaves the tractor seat, turns the key back to normal or turns off the engine.
    * Fingertip Electronic PTO Engagement
    * * as rated by engine manufacturer

• jimw606
    13 years ago

I was looking at the parts book on the ZTT steering. It sure has a lot of parts. Haven't looked at the 304 yet.
    I am looking at both. Jim

• earthworm
    12 years ago

One Usually receives what one pays for, but not all the time.
    Its so easy to buy more than what is necessary, and of course, the sellers wish to make as much money as possible..
    The competition keeps them honest..I think.
    MowersDirect seems to be a good, well organized web-site..

• rjsomara_gmail_com
    12 years ago

How easy is to do diagonal cutting with the x304? I try to change patterns each time I cut the grass to prevent ruts. My JD SX85 is 13 years old and the only thing I had to do, besides normal maintenance, was change the belts and front tires once. I pull a JD plug aerator and garden cart with mulch or top soil in it. I have just about worn the cart out but my deere keeps running. I plan on keeping the SX85 to cut in the tight areas where the x304 will not fit.