Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malamute5

electric PTO causing electrical drain??

malamute5
14 years ago

Happy Spring Everyone!

We have a 2000 Simplicity Conquest w/ 16HP Vanguard motor. It can sit for a long time -- all winter -- and start right up without charging the battery. It appears that just driving it, restarting it doesn't cause the battery to drain. It can do lawn trailer clean up duties for a couple of hours with multiple stars with no problem. However, when the mower deck is engaged, after several minutes -- sometimes as long as 15 minutes -- the battery discharge light comes on and and "electrical" message comes up on the dash. Guessing there is a voltage drain that shouldn't be but no idea how to track it down. (If I don't continue mowing and turn off the PTO the battery light will go out and the "electrical" message goes away. It will return when I turn the mower back on -- sometimes right away -- sometimes in a couple of minutes.) Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• lawwnbboy
    14 years ago

I think I am getting the same issue on a JD LX188. This mower is used by a local school which uses the mower to cut the softball field. I just inspected this machine today for the first time. The complaints are that the mower blades were not engaging, the battery drains, the charging system isn't working, the voltage regulator might be to blame, etc. There is no real supporting evidence yet for any of these 'guesses'. Although, I did find the red thin wire going to the battery positive terminal is completely corroded, so if this wire actually carries the charge from the (isn't there a stater in this model) stater and it isn't reaching the battery, it is my guess that this could be the issue. But, after reading your post, I am beginning to think the PTO (what does this stand for?) may be playing a part in this.

Thank you,
    Tom

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

If your electric clutch coil is beginning to fail it will draw too much current and will drain the battery faster than the charging system can keep up with it. I have another post on a similar issue going right now. Apparently these electric clutch coils can begin to short between the windings. The clutch still works but the coil is drawing more current. At some point the current draw is more than the alternator can keep up with. Also as the clutch coil continues to fail the clutch will itself stop working.

• mownie
    14 years ago

***"PTO (what does this stand for?"***
    Power Take Off

• malamute5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again. I'm the baffled Simplicity owner who posted the initial question. Your explanation re. the coil is much appreciated. However, I don't know where the coil is or how to test it. Also, rdaystrom, I don't know how to track down down the other post you have going on this. Sorry for the novice user ??s.

• mownie
    14 years ago

***"I don't know where the coil is or how to test it."***
    I could send you a PDF manual on these clutches, covering testing & adjustment, problem is........I don't know your e-mail address.

• tbrowning
    12 years ago

My craftsman mower model 917.274033 has a problem with the engine dieing when i engage the pto . i removed the deck and tried it but the engine still dies like its running out of gas. I think the clutch is going..any ideas :-) terry.browning01@gmail.com if you can help

• rcbe
    12 years ago

tbrowning - next time, start a new thread. This one is old/outdated.

M/W, prolly a safety switch failing, most likely your seat switch.

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

My PTO is noisy ,its going in at 125 hrs new PTO at the end of the season under warranty. My lx176 had a noisy PTO for 10 years ,noisy when disengaged.... the newer PTO units are junk my 2 cents.

• Tony Fleming
    2 years ago

cub cadet battery will soon start to discharge after maybe 1 hour

Sponsored