Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erik3488

Dixon 4421 mower deck turns off after a few minutes

erik3488
9 years ago

I have a Dixon 4421 that ran great last year, but now does not. The engine fires great, the deck kicks on fine but shuts off and stays off after a few minutes. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• walt2002
    9 years ago

I would check wiring. I would probably run jumper wires directly to the clutch by disconnecting the plug and jumping to it. IF clutch works OK, problem in your wiring, IF not, problem in clutch.

Walt Conner

• erik3488
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The clutch engages fine, but shuts off. If wiring was a problem wouldn't it not engage at all?

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Without having a schematic handy, Walt's method isolates it to the PTO or NOT.
    IF it's the PTO there are some tests that can be done to it.

You may have an Operator Presence Relay (or not) that might fail when warm and disconnect the circuit.

If you provide a ;link to the schematic.......

• mownie
    9 years ago

If you doubt the advice offered by Walt for some reason, consider this.
    The PTO clutch is an electromagnet utilizing a coil of wire.
    Passing electric current through the coil causes the coil to heat up, and that is a normal condition. The coil wiring may have a spot in it somewhere that separates after the coil heats up, and thus the coil ceases to be a magnet.
    Isolating the clutch from the rest of the interlock circuitry will determine if it is the clutch, or something elsewhere.
    If there are any control relays in the interlock circuits, those too utilize electromagnets to operate and are also susceptible to heating up and losing their function.
    "Wiring" must be understood to encompass all the devices and components that make up the electrical system, not just simply a piece of wire.

• rcbe
    9 years ago

might also check for a failing or undercharged battery - a PTO requires a fair amount of current to remain engaged...

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

A PTO requires about 4 AMPs or so.
    IF the battery is strong enough to start the engine, capacity is not a problem.

• rcbe
    9 years ago

"IF the battery is strong enough to start the engine, capacity is not a problem."
    Bullhockey. Just last year had trouble with my PTO cutting out intermittently - fixed by replacing the failing battery (confirmed by load test) - and the machine would start even so.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Then you had other issues.

• erik3488
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still having trouble. Clutch is fine, cannot find problems with the wiring. I did discover my lights are not working either. I checked grounds, even connected another wire from the engine to the chassis to see if I was losing the ground. Suggestions?

• mownie
    9 years ago

***"Still having trouble. Clutch is fine, cannot find problems with the wiring."***
    Does that mean you ran a separate jumper wire to the clutch from a battery hot source?
    If you did run a separate wire to feed the clutch, and the problem persists, then you can't conclude that the clutch is "fine".
    If you have not yet run a separate feed wire to the clutch from a battery hot source, then why your declaration that the clutch is fine?
    What exactly have you done that exonerates the clutch as the culprit?

• wheely_boy
    9 years ago

rcbe, did you check your battery for cracks?

• erik3488
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Problem solved. As I said before, the clutch is fine was not the problem. Since the head lights went out at the same time I traced the wires back to were they met at a common spot. That spot was the ignition. The hot source for both comes off the ignition switch. Everything looked fine, but when I pulled the wiring harness off I noticed one of the retaining prongs was lower in the harness. I pushed it back up and glued it in. Bingo, everything working great!

• rcbe
    9 years ago

Don't worry about me, roller girl... just don't quit your day job at MTD.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz