Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snapper RER Clutch Chatter

Posted by annewalker (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 22:21

I have a Snapper RER that about 3 years old. It has developed a random chatter that almost sounds like a
missed gear in an old manual tranmission when you put
the clutch in. I know it must involve the disc as it
hits or leaves the drive wheel. It is a noise and a vibration/chatter. The only other sympton is that it
is at times difficult to smoothly start, and sometime
seems not have a lot of pulling power.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snapper RER Clutch Chatter

Probably need to replace the drive disks those things use. It's cheap to do so and if you've never done it, 3 years sounds about the right time. I think the hard start is something unrelated to worn drive disks.

o

I assume it has the "soft start" clutch, if so, be sure to get the replacement drive wheel with the liner inside.

Walt Conner

o

Not for everyone, but i have a 42" Snapper RER from late 80's. It had a soft clutch, always slipping. I disabled it. That liner in it, i had a roll of high temp black gasket material, almost 1/8" thick, i thought what the heck, ill try it, cut/made a new liner from that and put it in. In 2 years now it hasnt worn out.Sure the soft start is gone, but who cares..If ya know how to operate it, you can still start off pretty easy.

o

Also suggest not to overlook the possibility of a loose drive belt that may require adjustment or replacement. Problems of "smooth start" and lack of "pulling power" might be clues to a problem belt.

o

These Snapper RER's DO NOT have a drive belt to provide tractive power! The single belt on them is only to spin the mower blades!

o

"If ya know how to operate it, you can still start off pretty easy."

I guess I never learned how to operate one. I was a rebuilder and used Snapper RERs for years. I maintain they got their name because they snap your neck, even the "soft start" can lurch after backing up then going forward.

I have never seen a liner wear out before the rubber tire. Slipping is likely due to improper adjustment or weak spring.

Walt Conner

o

How do you determine if the disc is worn out?
If the rubber is gone I would think it would make
a metalic scream...

o

Never saw one with "the rubber gone". Have seen them worn pretty well down. Mostly the rubber chunks out.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here