Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texican_gw

Riding Lawn Mower Problem - Dies when PTO engaged

texican
16 years ago

When I pull the switch to engage the PTO, the engine bogs down real quick and dies. It sounds almost like it has too much choke or something (but that's not it).

It is a John Deere L130. I got this mower used as a hand down. It has not been abused or anything, but we aren't sure why this is happening. Any ideas?

It moves (I can see the grass clippings come out for a milli-second) but then it bogs down and dies.

PS. This is my first riding mower. I am a total novice and what to check for.

Comments (24)

• jptgs1
    16 years ago

I have a Deere STX 38 that is 14 years old. It does the same thing when it's cold. I have found letting it run a full throttle for a few minutes takes care of the problem for me. I haven't figured out the cause, just a cure for mine. Hope this helps.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Make sure your deck spindles etc. rotate freely.

Since that engine is a Kohler Command Twin, head gaskets are always suspect.
    See if one cylinder is weak by alternately disconnecting one spark plug wire and seeing how the engine runs. Compare the 2 cylinders against each other.
    I recommend grounding the disconnected plug wire.

• daft_punk
    16 years ago

Ground the plug wire ??? Won't that short out the ignition coil ? If it's a single coil and no distributor, the spark would be lost on both cylinders.

Not sure that would be so good for the ignition module, either.

Peace.

Marco

• tomplum
    16 years ago

Bill has the module thing covered. 2 coils. Grounding the plug wire keeps gremlins from killing the cd in the coil. Be 100% sure on the deck. Roll the belt off the PTO if you want to test it that way.

• daft_punk
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Tom. I am now informed.

Sorry about that, Bill.

Peace.

Marco

• machiem
    16 years ago

I will second the notion that you need to let it warm up before attempting to engage the blades.

My Kohler single does it too.

• texican
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help guys.

Well after playing with everything, it ended up being a problem with the safety switch under the seat.

• greenhouse42
    15 years ago

Seems to be a lot of us JD Kohler owners with the same problems. I wish I had a color coded schematic to help in hooking up wires that have been bypassed

• greenhouse42
    15 years ago

When I pull the switch on my JD the PTO clicks and the engine starts to lug down. The Mowing deck is not even on the tractor. I got the tractor recently after a friend of mine passed away. It hasn't been used for several years and there has been a lot of tampering with seat switch etc.(completely disconected) where can I get info so I can hook things up right again?

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

if the deck is not even on it, then either you have a bad PTO or a bad safety switch. the wiring diagrams are on the deere parts website.

does it sound like it bogs down or like you just cut the key off? if it bogs, then look at the PTO. if it sounds just like when you kill it with the key, then try holding down teh yellow RIO button while you turn on the PTO. if it works, then the mower thinks you are in reverse so you need to look at the RIO.

• Marty Betters
    8 years ago

I have a JD L130 that was doing the same thing. What it turned out to be was a $20 relay stuffed in on the right side of the motor, kind of right below the PTO switch. I have another for parts and changed the PTO clutch and switch until I finally spent $80 for JD to fix it. Had I known it would have taken me 5 minutes to fix the damned thing! Lol

• nlachica
    7 years ago

We have a jd la145 that when we engage the pto the mower dies, in full throttle and everything. We don't see any relay "stuffed on the right side of the motor, kind of right below the pto switch." There are two wires that come off the coil where it comes off the battery positive, but that's it. There is something under that coil but we would have to take apart things (it is right next to the 20 amp fuse). We tried to see if it was the rio but that didn't seem to work (holding down the rio as we turned on the pto). Any thoughts?

• nlachica
    7 years ago

Also when you engage the clutch manually, we thought we were under the impression that it would not move but this one moves freely. Could that have an influence on why it shuts down when we engage the pto?

• nlachica
    7 years ago

Update:. We can get things to work if we manually engage the pto by putting the positive and negative on the pto connection and on the battery. Works like a champ so obviously something is up with the pto connection and it isn't the seat switch because we disconnected that. Fun times!

• rexlex
    7 years ago

if your jd is designed like many out there today, simply disconnecting the seat sw will not bypass the intended function. actually a working seat sw must maintain the circuit and is designed to cut the engine off when no weight is present to engage the sw. a failed sw will do such; weight present or not.

• nlachica
    7 years ago

We were able to manually engage the pto with the seat switch disconnected

• dhelms480
    7 years ago

I have a cub cadet an when I pull the PTO switch the PTO will not engage an it kills the motor no choke or bog down its like u cut power off going to the motor what is my problem

• rexlex
    7 years ago

most likely will be a failed cl/brake switch or a seat safety switch - prolly the latter. As you just can't bypass that sw, suggest getting a new one and replace.

• PRO
    Eat Me
    7 years ago

Electrical problem with the Rectifier. Lost it's internal ground and can not "tell" the alternator to produce the amps needed to operate much more than the head lights. Simply run a wire from one of the screws that hold the rectifier to the engine block and ground the other end to the frame. Problem solved. Common problem with Command and Courage engines. I have saw countless people waste hundreds of dollars trying fix this very problem when all is needed is a piece of 14 Ga wire.

• mrhuntmaster
    6 years ago

What specifically is the rectifier? I have a JD G100 it runs good with plenty of power till pto is engaged. The tractor continues to run with blades spinning but idles down to about half throttle on it's own. Also battery light comes on on dash. Soon as pto is disengaged it goes back to running strong and dash light goes out. Do you think the wire from the (rectifier) is the issue and will solve my problem from what I have described. Thank you.

• HU-335495904
    4 years ago

vevehaving

• jbnixon49
    2 years ago

I have a john deere 186 lawn mower. The electric clutch is un hooked but still does when you try to engauge it. (backfires also)

• jbnixon49
    2 years ago

What was the problem?

Sponsored