Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valsound

Need tips on pulling oil seal out from Kohler 25hp

valsound
11 years ago

I need some pointers on how to remove the bottom crank oil seal on a Kohler Command 25hp.

Motor is CV730-0027
Mower is a Husqvarna GTH2548 with 700 hours.
Serial 3409003211
Built 2004

I have drained the oil, & pulled the motor & have it laying on its side so that the crank is pointing out horizontal.
My question is...

What is the elegant method to pull the seal out? There is nothing to grab ahold of that I can see.

My only idea was to drill several holes in the seal & then run some screws up in to pull it out. would that work?

What do the pros do?

thanks

Comments (11)

• mownie
    11 years ago

I would do exactly that. Drill 2 holes at opposite sides of seal.
    Then run a sheet metal screw into each hole but don't try to bottom out the screws.
    Grab each screw with a pair of vise grips just below the screw head and hold the pliers level with one hand and pry under the vise grips with a crow bar or other suitable lever type tool to lift the seal out.
    Alternate from one screw to the opposite (2 pair of vise grips are nice) until you have the seal out.
    Careful not to scratch or mar either the crankshaft or the seal bore. Scratches and gouges will cause a leak too.
    Of course Kohler wants you to remove the sump (oil pan) and just drive the seal out, and that is up to you.
    MHO is to leave the sump gasket alone if it ain't leaking.

• User
    11 years ago

Mownie's right on the money.

Before you touch the seal determine the depth or how the seal is sitting. If it's flush with the case note that.

If you drill holes use axle grease in the drill bit flutes to capture any metal filings. You don't want filings in the bearings.

If you've got or can borrow a smaller slide hammer they will do the removal job nicely.

Be careful installing the new seal not to nick the seal lip and set the seal to the same depth as the one you removed.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys,
    I'll use the advice & pry that puppy out. I'd sure hate to have to buy a sump gasket for no good reason.
    I'll post back with progress.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Things worked out pretty good.
    The second time I do this job, I won't pull the motor. It really wasn't necessary.
    I am going to post some photos.
    Here is the motor.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the seal before screw insertion.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I drilled pilot holes, inserted screws & used a prybar to lever out the seal.
    It came out easy.
    It's tricky to drill the pilot holes because you can't hold the drill bit at a 90 degree to the deal. You have to drill on an angle & the bit wants to travel rather than go straight in.
    I should have used a center punch to start the drill spot.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seal pried out.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seal out. Small hole on left is oil inlet.

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used a 2" PVC pipe to tap the seal back in.
    It went right to where the old one sat (measured before & after)

• valsound
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New seal in place.

I dropped the motor back in, added oil, attached the 2 cables & wiring, & ran the mower so far for about 1/2 hour.
    The upper pulley seems to be staying dry.
    so far so good on that.

Oh, cost of repairs 5 bucks.
    I looked the seal up online & it was $4. plus $4. ship.
    Called up the local mower shop & he actually had one in stock.
    +1 for the local guy.

• mownie
    11 years ago

***" Small hole on left is oil inlet."*** Not!
    Small hole on left is an "oil drain off" or equalization port to prevent any "stray oil pressure" flowing out of the pressurized crankshaft main journal (directly adjacent to the seal) from causing a seal to leak.....or worse.........to push the seal out of bore.
    Oil actually flows OUT OF that hole to return to the sump.
    Oil is fed to the crankshaft by the oil pump (after being filtered) so any holes you see near a seal are going to be oil escape holes.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio