Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zero Turn Questions...I Need Answers

Posted by ocmoses 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 23:02

Occasionally I run across used zero turn mowers at estate sales or other venues. Since I have never owned this type of mower, what do I need to "watch out for"? Please educate me.
Is the John Deere Z Trac a good mower?
Is there really a difference between a mower bought at a John Deere dealer and a mower bought at Home Depot or Lowes?
What brand of zero turn is considered to be the best?
What are the main problems associated with zero turn machines?
Are there maintenance issues to be considered for zero turn versus conventional type mowers?

My last question; is there a difference in blade RPMs between zero turn and conventional mowers (better cut quality)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zero Turn Questions...I Need Answers

I don't know that there is much difference in any of the basic zeros. They all have light duty transmissions. Kept blown clean and not abused they last a long time. If you get to a better unit- you get a lot more in performance and durability. The only thing a 757 and basic Z track have in common is the color of the paint.

o
RE: Zero Turn Questions...I Need Answers

As tomplum noted, grass buildup is a problem. Air hose is your friend. Every few hours blow the decks clean. If a previous owners mowed with the pulleys jammed packed with leaves and grass, wears the engine. Same for your cooling system --> radiator or cooling fins. Blow everything clean.

Zeros are called hydrostatic, but its really motor oil. Mine has Mobil-1 Full Synthetic 15W-50. Supposed to be cleaned, but I have yet to change mine. Entire threads on that here.

For me, the big problem is dealing with bumps in the lawn. Most ZTRs can go pretty fast. But your really can't do that unless your lawn is rolled totally flat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here