Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie seeks ride-on mower recommendation

Posted by ltlredwagon CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 23:18

I have a place that has a small apple/pear orchard - about 1/2 acre with 28 trees. Mostly flat, but on two levels with a short slope of about 20-25 degrees up to the higher level. Gophers have made it a bit rough right now but I'm working on getting it more level. Previous mower was an old Craftsman - a Sears guy came out (2 weeks after call) and said repairs would cost more than the machine is worth. I'd like something that will get around the trees/rainbirds fairly easily and has a bit of climbing power. Durability and ease of maintenance are key factors for me - I'm about 1 hour from the nearest city (San Bernardino-Riverside County, CA). And I want something that has repair service available if I need to take it somewhere. I'd like something in the $3000 range or less if possible. I'd go a bit higher if that's where things get "real". I would probably rather NOT get used equipment, unless it was from a dealer who had serviced it. Appreciate any recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie seeks ride-on mower recommendation

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 0:10

I'd probably go with a another Craftsman at that price point, personal opinion, a garden tractor with the long proven 3x2 manual transmission since you have that slope, and it also has a tight turn radius. Zero turn would be nice but not recommended for steep slopes. Get some chevron lug tires on the back wheels for extra traction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Garden Tractor w/ manual trans

o
RE: Newbie seeks ride-on mower recommendation

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 20:32

"Ditto" with Larso!! At that price point and leaving used machines out of the evaluation I think Craftsman would be your best shot. I would recomend going with "AG" or an agresssive ATV rear tire for traction and perhaps "load" the tires with liquid (windshield washer, RV antifreeze, etc.) for additiional traction.

I don't know if the "3x2" trans is available new anymore? The Hydro's in GT's (Garden Tractor) seem to hold up well.

Before you buy, what else are you going to do with this machine? Dragging a cart around is understood.

Good luck,

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here