Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rezae80

John deere 285 Kawasaki 590V no fire left cylinder

rezae80
9 years ago

Hello,

I have Jonn Deere 285 with Kawasaki 590V Engine.
Purchased it used with 1,200 hours on it for cheap.

When cranked the engine, didn't get spark on the left cylinder.
Read the manual and pretty much any forums I could find.

Did my testing as follows:
1- Swapped spark plug from good to bad -> Still Right sparked, left didn't
2- Swapped coils -> Still Right sparked, left didn't
3- Measured pulsars ohm, both reading the same
4- With hand wire connected left (bad) pulsar to right (good) input of ignition module -> Still right sparked
5- With hand wire Connected right (good) pulsar to left (bad) input of ignition module -> Still no spark on left cylinder
6- Sequentially connected each pulsar to ignition module, the took the right (good) cylinder output from ignition module and connected to left (bad) cylinder and got spark

Before starting this, I was certain the issue was the pulsar, but surprisingly the tests seems to show my issue is ignition module not firing one cylinder. It does not matter which pulsar I connect to ignition module, I get spark on the right cylinder and never on the left. If connect the right cylinder output of the ignition module to left (bad) cylinder with either pulsar, I get spark.

Is this test conclusive enough or do I need more testing?

I even took out the ignition module and opened the cover, it smelt like hot wire (burnt components), but wasn't lucky yet to take out the board.

Also, with these many hours, not sure if after fixing this something else might go wrong. How long do these usually last?

Thanks in advance

Comments (4)

• walt2002
    9 years ago

I am not familiar with that engine but most V twin engines have a funky "Kill Wire" circuitry. I would disconnect the Kill Wire from the base of BOTH coils and see if that makes a difference. IF so, faulty Kill Wire Harness.

Walt Conner

• mownie
    9 years ago

Before searching for any kill wire circuitry, don't bother looking.
    This ignition system is a true "battery and coil" ignition system.
    It does not feature the type of kill wire grounding facility necessary to defeat spark for stopping the engine as magneto based ignition systems have.
    In this Kaw ignition system, the "pulsar coils" are only "pick up coils" and do nothing but sense the position of the crankshaft by means of the reluctor mass passing near the pulsar. In fact, it would be entirely appropriate to call the pulsar a Crankshaft Position Sensor. The passing mass of the reluctor section affects the low level electromagnetism of the pulsar and in this manner provides a firing signal to the ignition module (aka igniter).
    The igniter is the component that controls when current is provided to each respective ignition coil to saturate the coil, and the igniter breaks the circuit feeding each coil at the proper moment so that a spark will be delivered to the spark plug.

All the testing you have done is pointing to a defective igniter.

• rezae80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, trying to order a decent priced one.

Yes the coils get a 12V direct from battery when key is in ignition position and wait for a ground when the pulsars detect the magnet.

I can measure 12V at the coils when key in ignition position.

• mownie
    9 years ago

***"I can measure 12V at the coils when key in ignition position."***

Yes, that is exactly how it works. Coils are fed with voltage potential and the igniter provides a ground path to complete the circuit for current to flow through the coil at the appropriate time and duration to saturate the coil. Then when the reluctor moves away from the pulsar, the igniter opens the ground circuit and the field surrounding the coil collapses, and a spark occurs.
    I did make it sound like the igniter was in control of the hot side of coil, but that's not how it goes.
    It's really the same as in old school contact points ignition.
    The coil is fed hot and the contact points control when the coil is given a ground to complete the circuit.
    The igniter is basically a set of electronic contact points.
    Keep us posted on your results please.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler