Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
in_need_of_help

Briggs & Stratton engine revs too high

in_need_of_help
10 years ago

I changed the oil in my Yardman model 3AJ693G755 riding lawn mower (engine is 31p777 briggs and stratton. I accidentally overfilled the oil and then mowed for about an hour at which time white smoke started blowing out the front of the mower and the engine began racing so high that I thought it would take flight. I shut it down right away by just turning the key off. After it cooled down, I checked and realized the oil was over the full mark. I drained some out until it was on the lower side of normal on the dipstick. The mower immediately started fine, I mowed for approximately 30 minutes and then raised the deck (disengaging the blades) and the mower started racing again. Basically now when I try to mow, unless I have the blades engaged and they are cutting some fairly tall grass it will race so fast that it sounds like a high pitched drill. I have to shut the mower off before I raise the deck or it will sound like it is going to take flight.
Any ideas? I don't know what to do. Could I have damaged the engine. I thought if I had damaged something the engine would not have started.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets