Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blindog

Good/bad advice on zero turns

Blindog
11 years ago

I have decided to purchase a homeoners version zero turn. I know they are not built like commercial mowers. I will be mowing roughly 1 1/2 acres a week. I have been to 3 local dealers looking at zero turns. Any thoughts good, bad or ohterwise on a J.D. Z425,hustler sport,and a toro timecutter? Deere has a twin cyl. briggs, hustler and toro have twin cyl. kawasaki's. Any comments or recomendations would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

Are the prices the same? IMO the hustler sport is no brainer with the other two. I would goggle reviews on each, go test drive the machines then pick the one that you like in your price range. But, IMO the hustler will come out on top especially if they all about the same price.

• ccecilm
    11 years ago

Stay away from the Toro Timecutter Z. I have had one (Z4200)for 2 years and have never been pleased with the quality of cut. If you can afford it, get one with a suspension system. My Toro does not have any suspension and after mowing 1.5 acres of not so smooth ground I feel like I have been beat with a 2x4.

• larso1
    11 years ago

I can recommend the JD 425Z as I've had one since '07 and it's been trouble free. I have the bagger system w/ 48-in. deck and it works very well. The 425Z has the separate pump and drive motors like commercial units. It would be nice if it had a powered deck lift but that would raise the cost. I'm sure the Hustler is good too. JD has very good parts support when needed.

• Blindog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the three followups to my post. Prices vary a little. The toro 5000 is 3399.00, the hustler sport-48" deck is 39999.00 and the J.D.Z425 is 3899.00 Next bigger size deere Z445 is 4499.00. All 48" decks except toro is 50".

• BeeRadGee
    11 years ago

These are questions to consider:

Will this mower be used for other than personal mowing? - Is your flat acreage smooth and rock-free? - are there many (or will there be) shrubs/bushes/trees/obstacles? - available storage room for unit (they do not do very well if left out in the weather espesialy in extreme hot or cold) - does the dealer offer full support (important for those breakdowns/repairs if you dont know how to repair

Anyhow - post of my Rules for buying new equipment...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger (For Example if you think you need a 28Hp get a 30Hp instead).

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability. (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle,save,or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Pick up a couple of extra residential yards to earn extra bucks. It is absolutely important that you do not compromise because of the price of your mower!!!!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right mower for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following 2 problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk that is overpriced or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A pissed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place. (In my experience 2 or more acres a diesel model is best they are very tough and low maintenence).

Good Luck With The Choice You Make And May It Last Many Seasons..
    Yes you will see this post alot it was copied from www.lawncaremillionaire.com a company I am partnered with visit this site for more info..

• rcbe
    11 years ago

looked on that site - never saw such posting....

• twelvegauge
    11 years ago

BeeRadGee, If those actually are your rules, they don't really amount to much.

In a LAWN MOWER, nobody needs a 30-HP unit ... or even a 28 HP. Stated horsepower is an advertising gimmick.

Ergonomics are as important as performance and reliability? Oh, really? To you maybe, but to many of us performance and reliability are paramount.

"It is absolutely important that you do not compromise because of the price of your mower!!!!" What is important that you recognize your own financial situation, and buy something that you can afford. (I won't bother to comment on the use four exclamation points, but have noticed that people who over-do in that respect also dot their "i's" with little hearts.)

These "rules" have been floating around for years, and if you really originated them, try doing a re-write that offers some useful advice.

• BeeRadGee
    11 years ago

I guess I should have specified ive been doing lawncare since I was 15 I have 165 crews across 4 states I dont know much about residential mowers. I dont use them because they tend to break down very easy (the cheaper the mower the easier it breaks). I dont make millions by replacing a mower every 6 months. Forgive me I wasnt thinking about personal use. But even at that I wuld still recomend getting a small commercial mower at least a 26hp it will last many years especially if it is a diesel burner. Like the Stanley 62ZS 62 In. Kawasaki FX850 V-Twin Engine Hydrostatic Zero Turn Commercial Mower, Free Roll Bar and Headlights which is sold at Home Depot its about $1000 more but its a good mower. Me personally I use Scag standbehinds, All Kubota ZTR'S...

• BeeRadGee
    11 years ago

I guess I should have specified ive been doing lawncare since I was 15 I have 165 crews across 4 states I dont know much about residential mowers. I dont use them because they tend to break down very easy (the cheaper the mower the easier it breaks). I dont make millions by replacing a mower every 6 months. Forgive me I wasnt thinking about personal use. But even at that I wuld still recomend getting a small commercial mower at least a 26hp it will last many years especially if it is a diesel burner. Like the Stanley 62ZS 62 In. Kawasaki FX850 V-Twin Engine Hydrostatic Zero Turn Commercial Mower, Free Roll Bar and Headlights which is sold at Home Depot its about $1000 more but its a good mower. Me personally I use Scag standbehinds, All Kubota ZTR'S...

• javert
    11 years ago

Is this something like the fleet manager at J B Hunt Trucking recommending a Freightliner to a guy who needs a half-ton pickup?

If I might offer one comment: Folks who have 48-inch gate openings should eliminate 60-in ZTR's from consideration. (Believe it or not, I know a fellow who bought a 54-inch Craftsman only to be disappointed when it wouldn't go through his 40-inch gate openings - go figure.)

Moral: There is no "one-size-fits-all," nor any lawn tractor that meets everybody's needs. There are many factors to consider. The OP (Blinddog) has already worked through most of the factors, and narrowed things down to three machines. He's done the basics of his homework, and is seeking comments from anyone who has some experience or knowledge of these specific machines. I don't know anything about any of them, so I can't make a recommendation - except "make sure they'll go through your gates."

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Hmm Beeradgee is rite i found the post you were talking about actually its not so much as a post more of a question on the sites forum. and it is an old question too like 15 years old. It is kinda of directed towards commercial mowers tho. I would have to agree a commercial ZTR mower is way better off than those cheap made residential ones. of corse this is coming from someone who owns nothing but kubota tractors.. And in the words of Blinddog "I don't know anything about any of them neither, so I can't make a recommendations - except "make sure they'll go through your gates." In my state not very many people have single door gates most are double gates so i have no problems with a 60" mower. and i would also suggest looking at diesel models. In every forum ive read diesels are the most trouble free. I would look into bad boy mowers if i just had to choose a gas burner..

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

Geezz, how did we get from $3 1/2 to 4k machines to 10K machines and up. Course IF I paid 10K and up for mower I would Dam well expect it to last 5 times longer.