Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs and Stratton RPM Surging up & down

Posted by LawnmowerBilly K0E1H0 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 6:59

I have a 25hp. OHV v Twin engine in my riding mower. It has had a surging problem since I purchased it and it is getting worse. I have done some reading on it and Briggs says it is a bit normal and that it should have gone away after several tanks of fuel or full throttle operation; it's 5 years later and I can't stand it any more.
Does anyone know if this is a fixable problem and where should I start looking, there are no vacuum leaks and carb cleaner as an additive does nothing. Is a carb overhaul the place to start or governor adjustments, there seems to be a lot of this surging problem on the net but no definitive answer. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs and Stratton RPM Surging up & down

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 9:06

This may be "apples and oranges," but here's some info.

I have a 7.5 HP Briggs on a rear tine tiller, from it's second season on, it surged and hunted badly. Played with governor settings, there are no carb adjustments, nothing helped. Finally with info obtained here, I partially disassembled the "non serviceable" carb and sprayed it very well with carb cleaner, did that a couple of times. Totally drained the tank and refilled with new gas which had Stabil added, also some carb and fuel injector cleaner. Couple of tanks later the problem had essentially disappeared. This pretty much proved to me that my issue was caused by the "mystery fuel" available at the pumps today. Now I'm rabid about fuel conditioners. Stabil or equivalent goes into the empty can before it goes in the back of my truck to make a fuel run. I've actually bought a shut off valve for that tiller so I can run it dry after use, just haven't got around to installing it yet.

I'd look into what parts you get in the carb rebuild kit, you may have to replace the carb, as the issue is probably in the jets. I know Sears now automatically replaces those carbs as there isn't a lot you can do to them.

Just my two cents,

Good luck,

Ev

o

Hold the throttle shaft steady with your finger, if it smooths out and runs steady the governor is too sensitive. If it stumbles and fights you have a carburetor issue or intake air leak.
Spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb and the manifold gaskets on the head while the engine is running, an air leak should show up.

o

My surging problem was cured by changing the fuel filter.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 16:03

Regarding carburation in general, usually this is a fuel starvation issue. In almost all of these cases, I've soaked the carbs in NAPA carb cleaner and they end up working great. Disassembly is necessary, along with an air gun, and removal of welch plugs. Sometimes you can do it without removing all the welch plugs.

o

Lot of ifs. Model and spec?

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 12 at 10:46

Kudos to romore, I forgot to mention that I did that. The engine didn't settle down as it normally would when you hold the throttle.

Ev

o

"Spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb and the manifold gaskets on the head while the engine is running, an air leak should show up.

Isn't that kind of dangerous? I have never saw nonflammable carb cleaner. I use a spray bottle with water and a little soap to do that.

o

***"I use a spray bottle with water and a little soap to do that."***
Please tell us what kind of results you are anticipating by spraying a non flammable liquid onto a seam suspected of having a VACUUM leak.

o

"Please tell us what kind of results you are anticipating by spraying a non flammable liquid onto a seam suspected of having a VACUUM leak."

The soapy water will temporarily stop the leak.

o

• Posted by gewf631 Chicago NW Burb (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 12 at 9:10

Soapy water for expected PRESSURE leaks - makes bubbles

Never heard of using that for a vacuum leak. Have always used spray carb cleaner - far easier to hear the sudden increase in RPM's, than a slightly better running engine when the leak is plugged temporarily.

o

***"far easier to hear the sudden increase in RPM's, than a slightly better running engine when the leak is plugged temporarily."***
Hear Hear!

o

I guess you have never had your eyebrows burned off? I have, by someone unexpectedly spraying carb cleaner on a hot motor! Sorry but I believe in safety first!

What if your advice caused the OP to get hurt or worse? Would you feel bad? Advising someone to do something that dangerous is not good.

o

How much alcohol is in your fuel "up there"?
IF it's more than 10%, you may need a bigger Main Jet(s) in the carb.

Engine Model & type#'s are handy to know so one can see exactly which carb you have etc.

o

Must be using exxon gas that crap has a bunch of water in it. I filled 10 1G jugs and got 2G of water out of them.

o

Must be using exxon gas that crap has a bunch of water in it. I filled 10 1G jugs and got 2G of water out of them.

o

It's actually difficult to find water in the gas when freshly purchased. The alcohol absorbs it.

Just sounds like some kind of rant from a BRAND NEW POSTER!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here