Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_sandman

tiller attachment for craftsman tractor

the-sandman
13 years ago

I have a craftsman lawn tractor m#917.245940 that was given to me with a bagger & a roto-tiller attachment the tiller is a sears m#917.252461 it should mount to the back of the tractor after removing the bagger supports sears no longer has a manual on line if you have a manual or can tell me how it works i would greatly appreciate the help as i don't know if i have all the parts to it

thanks

Comments (9)

• javert
    13 years ago

Well, I've been holding back, hoping that someone else would jump in ... so I'm gonna offer up a few comments. I am NOT familiar with the lawn tractor or the tiller attachment ... .

First, a LAWN tractor is generally NOT built to handle a tiller, nor do they have a rear-mounted power takeoff to drive the tines. They do not have the heavier transmission and frame to deal with ground-engaging equipment. Therefore, I'm going to speculate that there is no way for your tractor to drive the tines, AND that it would not stand up to the task even if it could.

If the tiller unit has its own engine to drive the tines, then you could probably pull it with your tractor, but I would expect that doing so would substantially reduce the life of your transmission.

I suspect that the tiller was intended to used with a GARDEN tractor, and whoever paired it up with your LAWN tractor didn't really have the big picture.

• cowboybillwatts
    13 years ago

i am unaware than ANY sears tractor of ANY vintage has EVER had a rear PTO for the purpose of driving a tiller.

the sears tiller attachments are typically powered by a stand alone engine on teh tiller.

you could attach the tiller to the lawn tractor. the tiller would likely push the smaller tractor all over the place.

• marknsteph
    13 years ago

There IS a rare attachment for the garden tractors with that model number. I have one, to attach it there must be 2 small brackets bolted on the back of the tractor. The round nubs on the top of the mounting plate of the tiller drop into those brackets. There is then 2 bolts that go in, one on each side. Remove the deck if you havn't already and put the drive belt for the tiller where the deck belt attached. If you have the brackets for the tractor I could use a traced and scanned picture. Mine is missing the brackets and I have mine rigged.

Thanks!

• mrtractor
    13 years ago

Give me a yell, I've got the manual electronically and will be glad to send it to you. mr.tractor1@comcast.net

The industry generally considers LT's to handle only light towed attachments. Yard tractors however were upgraded to handle a pulled tiller, as in this case. Of course GT's handle both, plus full ground engaging attachments.

• Littleshot
    10 years ago

First off what state do you live in and did you ever get it hooked up to your mower? If not do you still have it? If so would you want to sell it?

• Sparks007
    10 years ago

I have a Model #917252932 Craftsman YTV 16 Varidrive yard tractor. It has the Model #917252461 Craftsman 21 inch tiller attachment. The engine quit several years ago. Parked it in the back of my yard, planning to fix "someday". Never happened. Need to sell it. No reasonable offer refused. My wife wants me to delete the word "reasonable". We live in Maryland. Own a GMC Envoy. Might be able to assist with transportation.

• John Klungle
    8 years ago

I have a sears tiller, model no 917.252461 and am trying to attach it to craftsman 19.5 hp lawn and garden tractor with a 19.5 hp and a hydrostatic drive. I am making brackets to mount the tiller to the back of the mower, but not sure to make everything else work. does anyone have a manual for one of these tillers that I could get a copy. thanks jk,

• mrtractor
    8 years ago

John, reach me by email at mr.tractor1@comcast.net, I have a manual.

• HU-617274726
    3 years ago

I know this is a very old thread but this is one I picked up yesterday and hoping to get running.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES