Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere EZ trak 425 or 445

Posted by jkmc (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 08 at 8:13

Interested in hearing from anyone who has one of these mowers and how they like them. How long have you had it and how much do you mow? Do you mow completely smooth lawns or some bumpy ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere EZ trak 425 or 445

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 08 at 10:48

I have the EZTrak 425 and like it alot. It is my first ZTR after having MTD-class LT's for 25 years. It has the power-flow collection system on it which is very efficient, although it takes some time to get it all together and fitted properly (I elected to installed it instead of the dealer and saved $50). My actual mowing area is probably only about 1/2 acre, mostly level with a few dips I need to fill in. The deck lift is manual w/ 1/4" adjustment increments. There is no spring assist so there is some effort in raising the deck w/ the handle, although not significant. The deck is pretty much the same 48C that you find on their JD garden tractors, not fabricated plate like the higher end ZTR's, but substantial enough for my needs. The drive system is the separate Parker pump/ dual Kanzaki drive motor configuration which I like. There is no suspension system other than what the seat provides so if this is a concern, you might want to look at those so equipped (Ferris?, etc.). This is a dedicated mowing unit and it's cut my mowing time almost in half because it cuts at a higher ground speed and no stopping to shift or back up....it's all a continuous motion. It has a lot of nice features and build quality for the price ($3899.00), IMHO.

Bill

o

I just took delivery of my Z425 yesterday and mowed for the first time today. My yard is far from smooth and it did fine. One thing the dealer told me was to ignore whatever the book said for tire pressures and run 14 in the front and 10 in the rear, which they set up for me when they set it all up. I'm thoroughly pleased with my purchase so far.

o

May sound like a stupid guestion, to you guys, but does this mower have a motor at each rear wheel or is this one with a single motor? Had a dealer complaining about that type, the other day. One more guestion without trying to make any one mad or stir up a stink. Z425 is this the bottom of the line for John Deere ? and will the dealership honor this or treat you like the black sheep of the family. Sure like the looks of this machine and may get one unless someone changes my mind. Will be tough since I worked with red paint for thirty years.
Norm

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 0:09

Not a stupid question Norm. All ztr's have a motor at each rear wheel in order to get the zero turn capability (wheels rotating in opposite direction as well as together). But one of the main things that separate the entry level ZTR's from the higher end ones are the integral pump / motor units (less costly) vs the separate pump and motor systems. This model JD (425,445,465) does have the separate pump and motor system, and the less expensive 225 model and I think 245 model have the integral units with the pump and motor enclosed in one housing at each wheel. Most of the higher end ZTR's with separate units have two pumps and two motors, whereas this JD model has one pump and two motors, but operates basically the same. That means that the pump and motors are separately serviceable and have a larger fluid capacity (better cooling). But, I'm by no means an expert on these, just conveying info I picked up on the web and in my owners manual.

As far as bottom of the JD ztr line, that would be the Z225 and the Z245. The 425, 445 and the new 465 are the next step up but still considered residential grade, not commercial. And of course they are priced accordingly. You should get good treatment from your JD dealer, that's where I got mine. I think they stack up well against the competition but of course I'm biased;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Trak 425 and 445 web site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here