Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snapper deck cutting too low

Posted by jb_nj 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 8:24

I have an older Snapper rear engine rider. Model is 281013BE.

I have the cutting height set at the highest setting, but it still cuts much too low. It leaves the grass about 1 inch high. I have adjusted the rear lift bracket with the spacers but it still cuts too high.

I'm destroying my lawn. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snapper deck cutting too low

Make sure your tires are propery inflated.

o

Checked tires. They're ok.

o

Raise the rear of the deck by shorting the support chains, hooking in different links. Level by removing the deck cover and adjusting the linkage under there.

Walt Conner

o

I have the rear deck spacers on the wires at the highest level already.

What linkage allows me to adjust the forward deck height? I didn't see anything to adjust when I had the machine standing up.

o

Well you don't really have one of the "older machines" apparently.

Walt Conner

o

***"I have the rear deck spacers on the wires at the highest level already."***
Does that mean you have moved all the spacer ferrules to the bottom side of the rear lift arm?
Moving the ferrules from the top side of the lift arm to the bottom side will leave you with a taller cut of grass.
moving the ferrules to the top will get your grass cut shorter.
Just to make sure you are doing it the right way.

o

Yup, I have all the discs on the *bottom*.

o

You may be experiencing the effects of "cumulative wear" at several places on the machine conspiring to lower the main frame and the cutting deck height adjustment parameters.
The main frame tube (front section) slides and pivots on a plastic bushing (Snapper part # 2-2509). Excessive wear to this bushing will effectively lower the overall aspect of the frame operating height, and that will lower the cutting deck height despite moving the deck cable ferrules.
The rear lift arm has plastic bushings (Snapper part # 2-2112) in place where the lift arm pivot stub shafts mate to the left and right support rails. Excessive wear to the bushings and/or the stub shafts and/or the holes in the support rails will result in the cutting deck height being lower despite moving the deck cable ferrules.
Any wear in the deck cables (Snapper part # 2-6274) top end heads and/or the main frame pockets that the cable heads stop against..........will result in the deck cutting height being lowered.
Have you gone to the Snapper website and down loaded a copy of the Illustrated Parts List for this machine? If not, do so and you can see all the parts mentioned.
Choose the middle IPL (of 3 offers) to get the chassis parts manual. The other 2 offers are for engine and accessory items.

o

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like that could be my problem.

I've currently got a jerry-rigged system where I use a short piece of metal as a chock under the height adjustment lever so it is well beyond the top setting. That effectively raises the deck to a usable height.

However, should I be concerned that this will stress/break other parts?

o

I actually doubt your rig will add any more stress to the parts..........but I can't see what you are doing with that piece of metal (it's too far away from me).
If you are merely adding some thickness (shim) to the same point that normally carries the load of deck suspension I doubt you will suffer worse damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here