Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

assistance with ZTR purchase

About to be a new riding mower gal. I have 6 acres but only about 1.5-2 is clear. The past 5-7yrs we have had it serviced. Mostly open field as it was a working farm years ago. Some old maples and my garden that is fenced from deer intruders. (that i tend with a weed-wack) as it is mostly raised beds.
I've had a Dr bush hog for 15yrs that i adore. Starts every spring and we take good care. Only serviced once and we tend the blade sharpening ourselves. I use it for the meadow paths. It is a working monster.

The service guys got a bit lazy the last couple years when the son took over the business. The mowed borders would get smaller and smaller throughout the season...i would bush hog back and they would ignore my efforts. (it was so obvious where the line used to be) So i fired them. At 2 grand a season and probably their easiest clients, i want to tend it myself and save a buck. I actually like mowing. No fancy landscaping, just looks good to have clean mowed land. The rest we let go wild with wildflowers and bush hog once a year to keep it from getting lumpy.
The area i will mow has a slight pitch but not that noticeable, just gives really good drainage. So never muddy, ever.

I've narrowed my choices down to two because of dealer location and service. The closest, (i just spoke with him) is Hysquavarna. He picks up and delivers for service and found out he is a neighbor.
(All homes in my area are acres apart so we don't know everyone like some towns. Country farms)
This is my weekend country home...i live in the city where i work...

The other is CubCadet. Was my first choice but a bit further down the mountain, 25 miles. Though not a bad drive and on our way back to the city. Not out of the way.

Budget? I thought 2500-3 but seeing so many options and different motors and 'ya get what you pay for' reviews, i'm a bit stuck...

Comments (17)

• rcbe
    10 years ago

If this area you intend to mow has little in the way of obstacles (trees, bushes, planters, etc.), may want to consider a good GT (garden tractor) with a 48-54" belly mower. A much tuffer machine for prolly less $$ (even more less $$ if you buy gently used) and usually easier to operate.
    I've run a ZTR 60" rig on open acreage and they can wear you out trying to keep them running in a straight line. OTOH, they are great around trees/bushes.
    BTW, whatever you buy is gonna need inside storage . Power L&G eqpt will not tolerate outside storage - even under tarps.
    Plenty of good brands out there. Trick is finding a good dealer that will keep you going while not picking yer pocket. Work on that and good luck.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, do it yourself.

I mow 4 acres. Local landscapers want $40/hour to do that. That's crazy. We are in the country. If I didn't like being outside, it's time to move. The ZTR stuff is easy. Of course you already have good ear protection. And always think safety (no dogs, kids around, etc.)

Not familiar with the two machines you are looking at. But the differences are probably nuances.

And as rcbe mentioned, these machines need to be stored inside. I used to have a large three point hitch grooming mower. I stored it outside on pavers. The decks were rusting through in 10 years.

• larso1
    10 years ago

I can only go by what I use...a John Deere Z425 with (in your case) a 54-in wide deck. I can highly recommend it and it will greatly reduce your mowing time, has excellent performance, and JD has good parts and tech support. If I need spare parts or an engine oil and filter service kit, I buy them on-line. That ztr will cost you about $4K though.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, yup, she will be inside. I've got a dry barn. My bush hog is always inside except for a dozen times she was tarped or got stuck out in a storm or two.
    I am looking also on Craig'sList for used tractors. Some are selling near the new cost.
    I'll take a look at the husqvarna this weekend. The reviews are all over the place for everything.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

I you buy used, DO NOT not buy a machine from a landscaper. They use them on wet grass, and in the rain. To use a "colorful" term, that pounds the snot out of a machine.

I have bought two used mowers from golf courses. That stuff is different. Those machines are much heavier, and they are always stored indoors.

I have one of these, bought on eBay with 500 hours on the clock

{{gwi:323952}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

We talked and searched and read last night till we were blue. The mowed boundaries are curvy and sensitive. Having it mowed by others for the 5-7 years has it looking much like a golf corse. We even have a few putting green cups for some fun and an area where we can put up a badminton net. (when the father ran the service he kept it tight and clean.)
    It looks good now but with lots of rain last week we need to get on this decision.

Our bush hog will get us through if we stall. It is a bit slow but it tends to be a Zen experience for me. I tend to follow along and can plan the rest of my day by 'seeing' the land that i love so much.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

If the grass looks that good, your mower guys may have been applying crabgrass control + weed & feed. You can buy all that stuff at your local homecenter

As mentioned, I'm not familiar with the ZTR models you are looking at, but maybe check if there's a hitch in the back where you can tow a broadcast spreader
    They don't weigh much, so I don't think it's a transmission issue.
    {{gwi:323953}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

No actually, they did nothing. Hard to believe but this is altitude in the Catskills...natural mosses and wild thyme. No maintenance as far as any additives...just lush happy lawn.
    Natural spring feed by nature. Side of a mountain that has very small constantly moving feeder streams...but not at all muddy. Our wood fired hot tub and garden is all fed by a 'grandfatherd-in' spring. Runs all day. The grass is just what existed as farm. An acre of mosses and ferns on the upper '40' that keep themselves calm and flat. The mowed area and garden get full all day sun. The upper level has a rusty giant maple syrup evaporator that is surrounded by hundreds of stacked rusty bucket from a century ago. Just field under control by itself. And a hundred maples.
    Odd and fascinating land.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just nervous that my husband may 'ya-hoo-cowboy' and go over a cliff.
    (he does not ever drive my MiniCooper. : )
    ...even though the mowing area is flat...but near cliffs and teared rocky overhangs...
    I'll post pics after the weekend.

• vancrasher
    10 years ago

I have been given a old ride on mower, but i am unable to find the make of it. it has a briggs & stratton 12.5 hp engine, mod no/289707, type 0121-01, code 9703072B and has 12.5/40 on the mower body. how can i find the make of the mower.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

Wow, sleevendog, sounds fantastic! A great property, for sure.

ZTRs are somewhat "non-intuitive" first time you get on one, no steering wheel and such. Maybe same strange feeling first time you were on ice skates.

First 5-10 minutes, go at slow throttle, NO BLADES engaged, just get the feel of forward and reverse, driving it around. Once you (or your husband) are cutting with it, learn more about it. Sharp turns (which it does easily) may tear the turf. It grows back, so just have some fun.

These mowers can slide on wet grass, have to learn about that too. But you said most of the lawn is flat, so probably not an issue.

Yes, please post pics. Love to see that.

tom
    Warren County, NJ

Original Author
    10 years ago

Giddy-up. Now that was fun.
    Pushed the button and it was delivered in an hour...
    Wild ride...a bit fast but but i'm sure i will appreciate the speed once i get a handle.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up with the Husqvarna Kawasaki. I don't find reviews this early in purchase that valuable. 15yrs with the OriginalDr bush hog, yes. It needs a new belt this year as it is adjusted all the way out...but that puppy has never failed and still going strong.

So, we practiced a bit and did a handshake to ONLY run it in an open area without obstacles...
    While i was bush hogging down around the garden and checking for any branches or debris from a long winter, husband ran into the stone wall in front of the barn! GRRR.
    Just a small side scratch on the mower deck, no dent. I had even said, just 20minutes earlier that i was surprised it does not have a snap-on bumper guard of some sort. Oh well. He fessed up. (dented his Tundra with-in 24 hours)

I caught on pretty quick having driven since i was 12, (don't tell my dad)
    I did white knuckle a few times, lol. It IS just the first ride. Did the lawn in no time and had to mow again Sun morning just for fun.
    Definitely the right machine for me. I do see the potential for problems. Like any engine required to work hard. (my car just had its air intake valves sand-blasted. A design flaw not covered under warranty)

We read the manual a dozen times. ALWAYS read the manual. I like that the quick-start hint sticker is placed upside down so you just lean over while seated, haha.

Anywho, nice to have control over my land again...and having fun doing it.

This post was edited by sleevendog on Mon, May 20, 13 at 7:48

Original Author
    10 years ago

I should add, most important for me with a big ticket item is service. Buying locally. Knowing if i do have a lemon, it will be picked up and an honest attempt for repair will happen asap one hopes. They also have a lawn service. A good selling point, in retrospect, would have been to offer a mow or two if service gets lengthy. 2 years of lawn service was 4 grand, (yikes what an idiot)....The mower was 3,300. I should get some good years with this thing if i pay attention and give it some love.
    When i had trouble with my freezer compartment after storm Sandy,(out of warranty now), i got on GW in the appliance section and figured out my trouble, took it apart myself and used a hair-dryer to thaw the clogged drain that was the size of a pea. The original poster had an expensive service call and he asked to borrow her hair-dryer, lol. (i did unplug the appliance first!)
    Read your manuals.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

Well, that's fantastic sleevedog. Glad it all worked out. Definitely do the local service. And of course you already know about Stabil in the gasoline (with the DR mower in the barn).

Don't know about you, but I like some tunes on my ZTR. Just got these new headphones. Noise cancelling + good audio. Amazon reviews say they are a little on the "delicate" side. What consumer electronics isn't?

I also find sometimes that tinted safety glasses ($10 @ Home Depot) on the ZTR help. Very low to the ground, get grass clippings in your face, gnats in the summer.

Saddle up

Original Author
    10 years ago

Still confused what model we have...i'll take note this weekend. We have a welded deck, not stamped.
    The owners son delivered and did spend time going over everything and was not at all hurried.
    He does lawn service and had lots of tips.

I do have two sets of eye protection...one clear and one tinted for sun.

Hoping for lots of rain this week so i have to mow first thing Sat morning, ; )

Original Author
    10 years ago

Found it. The model i purchased.
    So he did underprice it and gave use the quoted and tagged price.

With snow flurries sunday morning and very wet ground i did manage to drive her a few times and the windy weather dried the lawn with good drainage had no problem.
    As the manual states, most accidents occur with riders over 60, haha. Well not so funny but there is a learning curve. DH is a few years shy of 60 and i did hide the keys...
    It is not a drag racing toy!
    But tempting.
    I do think it is important to run full throttle like manual recommended but really practice slow maneuvering. Very Zen. So much fun.
    Most reviews and problems i have read are now clearly not understanding what this machine can do efficiently. Under 20 hours run time all machines need to be checked for a possible factory miss, a loose bolt, etc. Go easy and learn. Read the manual again and again. So far so good with this puppy.

Here is a link that might be useful: husqvarna RZ4824F

Sponsored