Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irritable

MTD Transmatic Questions

skidmark
12 years ago

Have a vintage Ranch King (MTD 139.652 F205) that I like to keep in service. The Transmatic is exhibiting the classic symptoms of needing the drive belts changed (seems like I had done it just a year or so before ...), but I'd like opinions on whether additional work is needed before I order parts.

A) Speed selector in lower (1 - 3) speeds do not change ground speed. Selector in 4 nets higher speed, with the classic sensitivity to pulling back on the clutch/brake pedal.

B) Brakes ineffective

C) "Rocking" sometimes required to shift from forward to reverse (and vice versa)

Looking through the Transmatic system, it appears to require a near-perfect balance of effective belt length, and spring tension. Are the springs typically suspect? Are there any adjustments to be made? Any wear points to look for in the pivots?

An unrelated question. I had replaced the deck belt with what should have been the correct replacement, but the blades never completely lose power with the deck lever all the way back. Does anyone know the correct belt length for the 38 inch deck?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor