Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas in oil Briggs

Posted by pitman44 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 9:31

My son has a Troy Bilt garden tractor with a Briggs 31C707 motor. He had a problem starting late last summer with getting fuel in the oil. I looked at this a couple of weeks ago and took the carb apart. Everything looked okay internally.

As far as I can tell the only way you're going to get fuel in the oil is if the float level is too high. That could be caused by a leaky float or a bad seal on the float valve. The float valve seat was clean. He replaced both the float and float valve, but is still getting fuel in the oil.

Any suggestions on where the problem might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas in oil Briggs

Either there is an otherwise defect in the carb or a leak at the fuel pump. If you need further help, let us know if it is a Nikki or Walbro carb.

o

"That could be caused by a leaky float or a bad seal on the float valve."

I had the same prob and tried it 3 times buying more than one new needle only to get the same result (the seat was clean). attempt 4 was a shutoff valve and no problem since.

o

Like outsider, that's what I did w/ the briggs on my rider. New needle and seat and still leaked so it has an inline valve now.
Mike

o

I've got a 20 horse intek... stupid Nikki carb. the carb was all gunked up when I got the tractor, so I spent the $55(!) on the overhaul kit... put the new needle in... the needle leaked gas like a sieve... measured the old and new needles.. while the needles were th exact same length... the old needle was 0.012" larger in diameter. I cleaned it up and reused it.... the v-twin runs like a champ now....

o

Virtually all B&S & Kohler engines with gas tanks above the carb, fuel pump or not, need a fuel line shut off. Eventually they are going to leak.

Walt Conner

o

He has a Walbro carb on that motor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here