Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Anyone use an oil evacuator?

tomplum
12 years ago

I've had this little Oregon one for a couple years. It seemed a bit hokie, but it lasted a couple years for what I use it for anyways. Was thinking about upgrading. I had looked at some of the air powered ones- overkill?

Comments (8)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

What is it? Would a soda straw work just as well? Does a soda straw do the same thing?
    I always thought the oil drain plug did that, too.
    I tried a suction pump, hand operated, but there was something obstructing the hose from going down into the crank-case, far enough to suck the oil out.
    Rusty

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Yeah used a rigid oil transfer suction pump numerous times for gearcase (differential) lube change outs on my trucks . Not cheap but with changing from dino oil to sythetic , it was much more efficient . It must be 20 yrs old by now lol .

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm amazed more haven't tried them. It seems the engineers don't put a lot of thought into draining the oil in some of these tractors and especially zeros. I like them for fuel or when an engine has a flooded crankcase to keep things cleaner and more controlled.

• ichabod
    12 years ago

I have one like the one in the link below. I bought mine from Harbor Freight but they don't show it anymore. Had it for several years and I love it. I use it to change oil in my mower and tiller fleet as well as my neice's car that some yokel at a quick change place overtightened the drain plug to the point that it won't come out. I also use it to change transmission fluid in my car and truck. My pancake compressor operates it without any problem.

Ichabod

Here is a link that might be useful: Westward oil extractor

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

ACE hardware has hand crank pump that works real good called the Handi-pump as long as you don't have gallons to pump out. I use it to change fluid in transmissions (auto or stick) brake fluid, power steering fluid and anti-freeze. Had if for years and the pump still works even with all the different fluids. Yes I used if for gasoline also. they go for about 30 to 40 bucks now, but well worth it IMO if you don't like messes.

Funny story My wife has seen me use it and one day she had it, course I was wondering what she was going to use if for? She stuck it in the fish pond and was going to drain the water (75 gallons) I laughed, after about 5 mins she gave up. I wonder why?

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

"William H. Harvey Company 093606 Pump Kit Hand Crank". $40 bucks now

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I have a NOS bellows electric fuel pump. Not doing a thing on the parts shelf. In testing, it seems to prime and lift fuel & drain oil. May build one.... The evacuators seem to have issue with fuel from what I read. Mount it to a container , hang a 12v battery pack on it to run it. Could be a good tool to evac fuel and oil or fuel flooded sumps. Or it may turn into a bucket of...

• briggsgalaxieman
    12 years ago

After reading the posts, above, I purchased the ACE Hand Pump Kit (093606) thru Amazon for about $45, including shipping. My local ACE stores don't stock the pump.

This 'sucker' really works great. I used it to evacuate the overflow anti-freeze tank on my car's cooling system. It pumped out 2 quarts in less than 30 seconds. It primes instantly and cleans up easily. No handyman's shop should be without one of these....

{{gwi:324285}}

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH