Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Change Hydro Fluid, Poulan

Hi Folks,
Got a buddy who has a Poulan LT with hydro. It's about nine years old and he wants to change the fluid, no drain plug, no instructions in manual.

I think I've read in this or other forums about draining the fluid through the fill port, which means taking the rear end off. Then refilling, then "purging" to get it fuctional again.

Can the fluid be changed, or just keep adding? Everything I own has drain plugs, not familiar with Poulan at all.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (5)

• mownie
    10 years ago

Time to take it out and up end it over a drain pan. Let it drain for up to a week for best results.That is about the best way to cope with a product that has been deemed "non serviceable".
    Years ago it seems the OEMs had to decide between a cup holder for people who can't wait till they are finished mowing before imbibing.........and transaxle oil drain plug for those who want to maintain their investment.
    To just keep adding fluid will do nothing to correct the problem (if the problem has arisen already) because the oil is already degraded and the paltry volume you might add is not going to be beneficial at all.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Mownie as usual you nailed it. I was thinking of just changing for the "if it's maintenance, you do it!!" But you point out that what's in there is probably degraded. Plus, knowing nothing about Poulan except where I've seen them sold and the price point, I'm guessing they didn't use the quality of lube most folks who hang out here would use. :-)

Thanks,

Ev

• mownie
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure the the trans (when it was new)..............was filled with lube by the transaxle OEM before it was ever shipped to Poulan.
    And for ulterior motives by the transaxle OEM too...........after all, the transaxle OEM is responsible for the initial warranty period, so they certainly want to know that its first batch of lube is the right stuff.
    If it's still able to pull after 9 years I would have to say it was adequate.

• tomplum
    10 years ago

It should be added that the first part of this service is to clean the outside well. Keeps the dirt out and cools better when up and going.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Point, I didn't know that transaxles were shipped "filled" by the OEM. Assumed that everything was bolted together at the factory and then filled.

I think I confused myself thinking about the Generac Genset I purchased which came with a brown container of labeled "generator oil" with instructions to fill and change after five hours. Guess Generac sells enough gensets to have someone relabel oil. Yeah, it's "apples and rhutabagas."

I bought the Generac as it was an American Mfg. Then I find out that under 8 or 10KW the engines are "generic 4 cycles" which translates to chinese..... Has worked well though.

Yep, cooling fins are supposed to dissapate heat, not be filled solid with crud.

Thanks for the info,

Ev

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!