Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albion_gw

Wheel Horse new owner

albion
16 years ago

Hello Everyone. I'm new here, but looking forward to taking part as I have just bought (sight unseen off Ebay - gulp!) a Wheel Horse C121. I see that Wheel Horse tractors receive quite good comments on the forums here...can anyone point me in a good direction for spares in the UK? Although shabby at the moment, I understand my new tractor works perfectly well, so my plan is to use it for this season, then undertake restoration over the winter. I will have some pictures shortly as I am about to collect! Regards, Albion.

Comments (13)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

Congrats on your purchase! I purchased a 312-8 last year off Ebay sight unseen. It's a great tractor! Here's a picture:

{{gwi:118564}}

I'm not familiar with the C-121. C-125s were made between 1980 and 1982. They had a 12 hp Kohler and either an 8 speed manual or hydro tranny.

Mith is a Wheel Horse fan who lives in South England. He'll probably see your question regarding spare parts in the UK and respond.

Welcome to the WH Owners' Club!

-Deerslayer

• mith
    16 years ago

Evening Albion,

As Deerslayer said, I'm down south. Where abouts are you?

I get my spares from the local mower repair shop. Might be worth you popping down to yours, if he cant sell them to you himself he will probably know someone who can.
    Ebay is your other resource for parts.

If I am looking at the right listing you are going to be needing a front wheel bearing. I think if you get the inside diameter, outside diameter and width you should be able to get a generic one to fit from any old shop that sells bearings.

You can download a parts list and manual from toro's website using your serial/model number. I'll find the link sometime for you.
    Found it ( https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm )

What do you have planned for it?
    Quality bit of kit.

The C121 is basically the older version of my 312-8. Alot of parts will cross over.

I have 3 or 4 Wheelhorses now, cant remember. Its hard to have just one :-D

• baymee
    16 years ago

I have a Wheelhorse 312A, but it wasn't made by Toro. If the C121 is an older version of a 312A..........I thought mine was 1984 vintage.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

The Wheel Horse company was purchased by Toro in 1989.

-Deerslayer

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

The C120 was a popular machine from about 74 to sometime in the 80's. I had one I fixed up back in the early 90's but had to leave her behind when I moved to another state.

I believe the C120 Auto was the direct decendant of the Charger 12 where as the C120 Manual was the direct decendant of the Raider 12.

The C121 is a slight variation. I think it has a different engine, not the usual Kohler in the C120. What engines does your have?

Or it may be the hydraulic version of the C120.

I am fairly certain one of the above is the difference.

Enjoy :)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

I did some research. The C-121 was built in 1978 and 1979. They have a 12 hp Kohler and an 8 speed manual tranny...the same as my 312-8.

-Deerslayer

• mith
    16 years ago

Yup, the C121 is basically the same as a 312-8. It obviously has the older Kohler 12HP.
    In what way it differs from the C120 I dont know. More guages or something maybe?

• baymee
    16 years ago

My old 12hp Kohler ran well, but was using a 1/2 qt. of oil about every 3 hours. The local school district was selling off their old inventory and I picked up a 312-8 that was used to pull the wagon around during the football games. I got it for $200 and the motor was almost new.

Anyway, I have the old 12hp engine sitting under the shed. It's hard to believe how heavy that thing is. It's like lifting a solid piece of steel.

I figure I might as well keep it, just in case I need a part off it.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Does your C121 have a hydraulic lift?

• mith
    16 years ago

Its a gear drive, so it wont.

• mith
    16 years ago

Actually, I take that back, there was a hydro version in both 1978 and 79.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Believe it or not there are pulley drive hydraulics on some just for the mower deck.

However the "1" may represent something else.

Electric PTO perhaps? My 1976 C120 had manual PTO and an AMP gauge. No hour gauge.

• jcm4244_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

GREAT BUY. I BOUGHT A C121 AUTOMATIC NEW IN 1978. BEST MOVE I EVER MADE. I HAVE USED IT AND MISUSED IT,AND IT STILL RUNS. I STILL MOW WITH IT AND PLOW SNOW WITH IT. THEY DON'T MAKE TRACTORS LIKE THOSE ANYMORE.ENJOY!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH