Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcbayou

John Deere RX 75 won't crank

pcbayou
12 years ago

I have a John Deere RX75 riding mower, and the starter sometimes refuses to "turn over" -- no click, no sound, nothing when I turn the key. The problem is intermittent; sometimes it fires up just fine, and sometimes it doesn't.

A dealer replaced the voltage regulator last year when I had the same problem. I've fiddled with the gearshift to make sure it's in neutral, checked all wiring that I can see, and all the other obvious things that occurred to me. Any ideas or guidance?

I realize this is a new post about an old problem. I got no responses on a post from a couple of years ago, so I figured I'd start fresh.

Thanks to all for any help.

Comment (1)

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

Could be one or more interlocks. My first choice would be the ignition switch (key). Sounds like intermittent contact. Second choice would be the solenoid.

Do you know how to jump the solenoid? This would help you focus on whether either part is the culprit. To jump the solenoid, you need to put +12v to the third wire (the smaller connection). Solenoid should click and start cranking motor.

Sponsored