Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jomorisin

Wheelhorse 211-4 4sp Battery/Wiring HELP!

jomorisin
15 years ago

I just purchased a Wheelhorse 211-4 4sp with a Briggs engine. I beleive that is an '88. I bought it for only $150 so I figure I'm ahead. However it needs a muffler and Toro want $240 just for the muffler. So I bought an after market one.

Question: My battery keeps dying on me, every time I run it when I turn it off it wont start again. I can jump it but the blades don't spin. Only after 7hr charge will it run again. The person I bought it from said he put a new wiring harness in and the battery was/is new. Now I have this 25amp fuse in line that keeps blowing out and of course it doesn't start.

Can anyone help? I don't have my operators manual yet but it is on it's way. I have never owned or ran a lawn tractor before so I am very green. Has anyone had a similar problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time everyone! Look forward to visiting this site often as I am a New lawn tractor owner. PEACE!

Comments (4)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

if the 25amp fuse keeps blowing, then you have a wiring problem. that is why your battery won't charge.

basically you will have a ground and hot coming off the battery. the hot will go to a solenoid and to the switch. the other side of the solenoid will have a hot wire going only to the starter. you have 1 wire that comes back from the switch to activate the solenoid.

depending on HOW it wires up, the charge wire fromteh engine may either go to teh switch, the hot(battery) side of the solenoid, or directly to the battery. this is the line that should be fused.

did YOU put in the 25 amp fuse or was that what was there to begin with? 25A is a LOT for a tractor. if you oversize the fuse, you eventually may have melted wires and a fire.

post the model number of both the engine and the tractor, someone here should be able to find you diagram fairly easily.

• jomorisin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The serial No. of the Wheelhorse is 32-11B402 34321. As for the engine. I will have to look into that when I get home.

As i said I am new to all of this and like most others, want to do it right.

The 25A fuse was already there. I think there was another fuse in line somewhere also. But will have to double check. I have been told it is probably a wiring problem and so this seems like a logical place to start.

What should I be using for a fuse? I am assuming it is not right at the moment. I will try and follow all that you told me. Makes sense just a little harder without a diagram in front of me (also I am no way close to being a mechanic). I will get back with further info as soon as I can. Thanks for your help!

Be back soon. PEACE!

• cryptofix
    10 years ago

I have the same problem. My mower came with a 15A blade fuse. I will replace it tomorrow and charge the battery before I use the mower. I thought that this mower had an alternator. Maybe I am wrong. I also don't have a manual. I just wanted to know if replacing the fuse solved your problem. I like this mower very much and would hate to get rid of only because it won't start. Please let me know.

• mownie
    10 years ago

It has been more than 5 years and 2 months since jomorisin said au revoir.
    So I don't think he is going to provide an answer.
    Now if you took the time to join this forum looking for serious help, you really ought to post a new thread of your own to describe your mower and the problem you are having.
    Fuses blow for a reason, and rarely is it because the fuse was defective. Fuses blowing are usually an indication of a separate problem.
    If you do post a thread on this, be sure to include the brand of machine, the technical model number of the machine and the brand, model number and type number of the engine.
    Good advice requires a good bit of info from you for accuracy.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz